Budget build idea......

Alright thank you guys for all the info, I'm new to the long rang shooting and can use all the help I can get and it is greatly appreciated..........hopefully soon I can get started on the project and get started shootin gun)........can't wait:D

at the risk of starting a heated debate i would also look into a 7m08. pretty much the same as the 308 but better bc bullets. ( yes guys i know i shouldnt have started this, i do own both a 7mm and 308 though)
but on the savage thing, good choice. i swap .308 7mm08 .223 and 7mmwsm barrels out on the same action. so you can always upgrade...

So I can build all of those calibers from the .308 action???

If you have a short actions with a bolt face .Dia of .470 +/-, the following a sample list of calibers that you can build but not limited to:

225 Winchester, 22/250 Remingtion, 6mm Norma BR, 243 Win, 250 Savage, 260 Rem, 6.5/284 Norma, 7/08 Rem, 284 win, 300 Savage, 308 Win, 338 Federal, 35 Rem, and the 358 Winchester.

Good luck!

and then you can also change bolt faces in 2 mins and then you have opened yourself to almost any caliber....feeding of rounds can be an issue though.. but single feeding works:D

I am in the same boat almost. Furlough days don't leave a lot of spare room financially and I wanted to hunt again so after a few years off and playing the AR game. I had a bunch of free bee .308 rounds and a couple boxes of Barnes X & Sierras leftover from loading a 30-06 years ago. I got a deal on a .308.

I spent a lot of time looking at glass. There were never any Nikons around I liked or Burris to look through - I am kinda remote, but I did go to Cabelas in Phoenix one day to have a look. No slight to anyone's choice, I wound up with 4 options. Redfield, Leupold, Vortex and Zeiss. I liked the Zeiss at $400, but I didn't like that reticle. After hemming and hawing a while I wound up with a Vortex diamondback, 3.5 X 10 x 50. It has great glass, and while the upper end Leupolds beat it, the Rifleman series doesn't to my eyes. I like the Vortex BDC or whatever option you want to call it.

Rings I went with TRS and I really like em, they are a little pricey, but very nice. EGW base makes it all come together real nice. Both USA made too. I am trying to keep us employed.

And, yes I am considering a conversion or build to a 7mm - 08. There are options.

I am still looking and waiting for some funds:rolleyes: But I really like the WOTAC scope. But if I got a different scope it would have to have 3 things mild-dot reticle, target turrets and reticle on the front focal plane. I think I got that last one right. And of course money is an object.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.