Buddies new rem 700 issues

Backcountry_IDN

Buddy just bought a brand new long range in .300wm

We took him out to get sighted in and the first 2 rounds went off fine and cycled good. The next two we're rough to cycle. Then I handed him my round and told him to see if it did the same with higher quality ammo. Stuck. Completely. Had to take it home and tap the bolt with a hammer.

Now he cleaned it before shooting. Cleaned in between shots. Cleaned after he got home and scrubbed good. He went through his spent casings again. The original first 2 cycled great once again. His next 2 we're hard to extract.

My round (hornady) wouldn't even let him close his bolt.

I don't vebelieit was the round due to me shooting 50 rounds afterwards just fine.

Wondering if anyone knows or thinks of what could cause this.

Thanks!

It probably has a rough chamber, or the headspacing is off. You could send it back to Remington, but that will be a giant pain in the *** hassle. I'd recommend taking it to a local gunsmith and having them check it out. Fixing either or both issues should be a fairly quick and inexpensive job (should be less than $100), if he recommends sending it back to Remington, I'd just have him pull the barrel, blueprint the action, and have an aftermarket barrel installed, as the 700 action is a great platform for an accurate custom rifle.

So
It probably has a rough chamber, or the headspacing is off. You could send it back to Remington, but that will be a giant pain in the *** hassle. I'd recommend taking it to a local gunsmith and having them check it out. Fixing either or both issues should be a fairly quick and inexpensive job (should be less than $100), if he recommends sending it back to Remington, I'd just have him pull the barrel, blueprint the action, and have an aftermarket barrel installed, as the 700 action is a great platform for an accurate custom rifle.

Sounds great! I'll tell him that. So we shall see what he thinks.

I had the same problem with Hornady in my model 700 300 win mag. I never shot them again. For some reason after 2 consecutive shots the bolt would be sticky and wouldn't eject the brass half the time. I've never had another problem with the gun besides the Hornady 180's.

I had the same issue with my Sendero a few years back. Brand new rifle and factory ammo would get stuck. Sent it to Remington and they polished the chamber, never had an issue since.

I had the same problem with Hornady in my model 700 300 win mag. I never shot them again. For some reason after 2 consecutive shots the bolt would be sticky and wouldn't eject the brass half the time. I've never had another problem with the gun besides the Hornady 180's.

Man that's crazy.... My custom savage loves the 200eldx. I'll tell him to keep shooting the federals and see if it'll loosen up. What did you try?

I replied to your comment but for some reason it's waiting approval. Lol

Federal were all I ended up shooting in it. The brass was actually pretty good for reloading. I got 8 reloads with them.

I "polished the barrel" which all I did was take a diamond paste, put the paste on a flat hard surface (granite rock) and rolled my bullets in the diamond paste to embed it into the bullets and shot them with a really light, low pressure load. And then cleaned extremely thoroughly. I never shot the Hornadys after hat so I can't speak to results but I do that with all my barrels for break in.

I had a rough go with my R700 LR when I bought it new as well, about a year ago. Tried Winchester white box, several Hornady brands, federal, PPU, etc. All with the same results, accuracy ok, but fight to extract the case. Tried polishing chamber, no help. Had gunsmith polish chamber, no help.

Factory loads showed pressure signs and some really weird neck sooting, as well as what can best be described as "nicks", as they weren't really long enough to call splits. Figured it was just a bad chamber. As it Turned out, pre extraction timing was also off on bolt, and bolt handle was visibly silver soldered on bolt body crooked.

I ended up pretty much going full custom with the rifle. New barrel, blueprinted action and PT&G bolt handle tig welded to bolt body. Wrote off the $600.00 initial investment in the rifle as a loss and as an expensive lesson learned, because my personal values wouldn't allow me to sell it to someone else, even though Remington didn't have a problem with someone buying it .

Not saying what I did is what you'll need to do to get it fixed, but here's a few things to look at:

Check the factory cases you were shooting for signs of excessive pressure. Check all of them for any shiny spots, scratches, etc. Look for excessive soot around neck and down to shoulder, measure fired case neck diameter, make sure it actually has sufficient clearance to release bullet.
Check the pre extraction timing on the bolt. With verified empty unloaded gun, cycle bolt, pull trigger, and while lifting bolt and pushing forward on it, verify the end corner of bolt handle where soldered onto bolt body actually engages the back of receiver pre extraction ramp for about .060" of an inch.
Also make sure it does this after the bolt lugs have cleared the receiver ramp.
Look at back of bolt with it in rifle and in down position and see if you can detect any misalignment. Uneven or not parallel gaps in spacing, etc. Additionally, with bolt removed from action, turn it over to view the bottom and visually verify end of bolt handle that wraps around bolt body is square to
Bolt body, and pretty much even with bottom of bolt shroud.

While you have bolt out, look for "shiny" marks or wear marks at top of bolt, in lug area, and around back of receiver area.
If the bolt cycles smoothly in action, no matter how you load the bolt handle with your hand, (laterally, up, down, etc then you probably don't have any serious wear marks on the bolt.

Good luck with it and I hope your problems with it aren't as serious as the problems I had with mine.

I had the same issue with my 7mm LR.

You can identify if it's simply a rough chamber by taking one of you fired casings and coloring the entire body of it black.

Next, run that case in and out of the chamber a half dozen times (just open and closed with the bolt handle should be enough). When you pull the case out, there will be a shiny ring around the case where the issue is.

You could also fix it yourself with a 3/8" or 7/16" dowel. Cut the dowel just long enough to reach into the chamber. Then slot the end of it about 1" long so it will hold a strip of sandpaper or Emery cloth.

Using your marked case to visualize where the issue is, run the drill at a moderate speed in and out over that area. Clean, and retest with a new fired case. I'd use 180 or 220 grit. Don't try to polish the chamber, there needs to be some grip. All you're doing is smoothing the imperfection.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts