Buckmaster 4.5-14 SF Mil-Dot, not tracking???

DanielLudwig

Ok so i had alittle accident in deer season this year, and i DROPPED my 7mm from the carrying position while walking!! I of course left it at home till i had time to shoot it again and veryify zero, and when i did shoot it for some odd reason the windage adjustment doesnt seem to work correctly, but the elevation seems fine. when i say doesnt work correctly i mean the rifle would shoot about 1" left consistantly, so i moved 4 clicks(1") right, all of a sudden it shoots an inch right! dialed back 2 clicks(1/2") and it went right back to shooting an inch left. i was then very frustrated cased the gun up and went home. i havent been able to look at the gun since then, this was very frustrating for me since this is usually a very accurate and consistant rifle/scope combo that has taken deer at 400+yds. obviously i need to shoot the rifle again before i do something as drastic as send the scope back, but i was also wondering could a ring problem or something cause this?? the rings are just whatever was on the gun, and after thinking im alittle worried about them, should i change rings too?? what would be a good process to deal with this, a set of steps or something maybe?
thanks
Daniel

Do you have another rifle setup that you could take the scope out of the rings and try the scope out on something else? If it still doesn't track correctly then I'd send it back before hunting season gets too close.

what purpose would mounting on another gun serve? I am confused as to what that would prove? Check the mounts and when you adjust the scope go past where you want to be counterclockwise and then finish with about 2 clicks clockwise to set the scope. Did it work correct before you droped it or do you jsut assume it did?

Last edited:
You could put up a yard stick or some way to measure accurately at a distance close as possible to 100 yards. Rock the rifle down good and turn your windage knob. Four x 1/4 minute clicks should move you 1 inch @ 100 yards. The more accurate you are with your measurements, the more the scope should tell you. Turn it left and right, then back to your zero. look down your barrel to see if you bent the barrel. You should see 2 very concentric holes centered . Don't panick , it can be straightened . The do it at the factories all the time. Watch for loose or bent mounts and rings while checking windage. Good luck , hopefully its nothing serious .

I was going with the process of elimination train of thought. He said he was worried about maybe his rings or bases. This way it would eliminate those and he can be sure it's his scope. Or he slap a known good scope on the rifle and see how it does in his rings.

If I were you I'd send it back and hope that they'll fix the discrepancy (if any). It never hurts for Nikon to verify that the scope is within specs (or bring it to spec), esp. if you have the time. When you get it back, follow above posters' advice.

On a different note but similar experience, about 4 years ago, my son slipped and dropped his rifle (Remington 1903 in .30-06 topped with 3-9x40 VX-I, Leupold one piece mount and rings). The incident put a dent on the housing by the objective bell (lens OK). When I re-sighted it, it was only off by 1/4" to the right and the tracking was all good.

Good luck!

Ed

I was going with the process of elimination train of thought. He said he was worried about maybe his rings or bases. This way it would eliminate those and he can be sure it's his scope. Or he slap a known good scope on the rifle and see how it does in his rings.

I don't know, by switching to another variable how would you know if those were right? All it takes is to check the original ones , see they are tight and eliminate all with the gun its on. I think too much fussing to switch to another gun[variiable, like I said how can it be right and you not make the original one right and remove that variable] ...you guys are making it a lot more complicated. So if it does for argument sake work on the second gun you STILL Have to fix the first, fix it first.

i set down and shot the gun again today, 1/4 minute left or right takes me completely off my 9" steel at 300+/-yds. everything seems tight. im pulling it off and sending it back i think. in the mean time i will probably buy better rings and bases anyway, these are cheap weaver knockoffs, and i never have trusted them, was just running under the premise "if it aint broke dont fix it", well, now its broke, so time to do something.
thanks for all the help guys.
later
Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.