"Bucketing" or mixing powder from different lots. What say yee?

Would you consider selling me one pound of each? I cannot find any no matter where I look.
By "lots" I am referring to batches that I have bought over the years (and shot)and recent months.

Unfortunately I dont have enough to get me to 2024 when its available again. That's why I been snagging the occasional pound and mixing it. I wish I could help you I really do. Keep vigilantly watching for it and the other powders that act similarly.

If that process worked well, factories wouldn't use lot numbers; they would just mix the leftovers with the next batch.
Have I done it on occasion? Yes, when I have an eigth of a lb of a powder I am not going to use in competition can be refilled from a newer 4 or 8 lb jug.

I think most people that understand what is being talked about here aren't saying to mix lots without working up their load afterward. Not just adding their leftovers to a new lot and not testing. Especially in these dire times you may end up buying several one pound bottles of different lot numbers. You combine them together and have your own "lot", work up a load and shoot it all up.

This thread I have been wondering about the subject for a while now. I have been searching for a thread/information on it. I have lots of H-4831 in 1# cans, and a couple of 8# cans. was thinking about tossing them all in the same big 20# jug and mixing them all up. I have only 2 lot numbers if I remember right so it would not be a real stretch to say there is nothing wrong with doing it.

That's actually an interesting tip. Would make for a bit more space in my powder cabinet too. And I assume less oxygen in the can means less degradation, all things being equal.

Someone mentioned "seal them back up". That's also a consideration., I mean, opening a sealed can is less than perfect. But I find the sticky tops on Hogedon powders "re-stick" to a certain point. And the plan is to burn this powder in next 5 years anyhow.....
Drip a few drops of blue thread seal on the can lid before ya close it
It'll seal and you can still get it open when ya need to use it

Pour in clean container (plastic bucket). Stir mixture with your hands/fingers and fold it in like a mix-master. Once you're confident you've mixed it thoroughly, pour back into 1 lb containers. Fill to top and seal off from air (see above).

This is a dangerous practice. Leave a couple inches for the powder to burn rather than explode.

I don't mix, but instead dehydrate my powder for an hour before loading, that solved any lot-to-lot velocity variation.

you're not the first i've heard doing this. though did read one guy putting in an oven at sub 150 degrees for a few hours with similar results.

though a dehydrator seems a lot safer

Not a big deal. Obviously your hands need to be clean.
Powder is coated with graphite, so it will make your hands dirty. You can use gloves if you wish. Just pour all your powder into a clean bucket and mix away...
I use 2 containers and just pour it back and forth several times to mix thoroughly.

Edit to add... I don't like the idea of getting the graphite or other additives on my hands or gloves. It was put in the powder mix for a reason, so I don't want to remove any of it. Which is my point of using 2 empty powder containers.

Last edited:
Would it work to use a jug from distilled water that is thoroughly dried out? I haven't kept ant old 8 lb. jugs because I didn't think it would come to this. I'm not worried about contamination as much as static buildup. That could ruin my day. Sitting in the basement at the bench one minute and explaining my shortcomings with St. Peter the next.

Would it work to use a jug from distilled water that is thoroughly dried out? I haven't kept ant old 8 lb. jugs because I didn't think it would come to this. I'm not worried about contamination as much as static buildup. That could ruin my day. Sitting in the basement at the bench one minute and explaining my shortcomings with St. Peter the next.
Any clean container. Just label and date it. Wipe container with cling free dryer sheet to reduce static if that is a concern. Progressive powder is not likely to explode. It will burn.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.