"Bucketing" or mixing powder from different lots. What say yee?

Been doing it for the last 30 years and never had an issues as for shelf life, if kept as makers recommendations,ie cool, dry and in it's original packaging 10 years +.the biggest degradation for powder is UV light.

I'm just wondering how you would go about mixing a couple of opened 8 pounders and a couple of one ponders? Dump in a bucket and mix by hand with a rubber glove on? I don't like the idea of touching my powder. But maybe it's not a big deal?

I'm just wondering how you would go about mixing a couple of opened 8 pounders and a couple of one ponders? Dump in a bucket and mix by hand with a rubber glove on? I don't like the idea of touching my powder. But maybe it's not a big deal?
Not a big deal. Obviously your hands need to be clean.
Powder is coated with graphite, so it will make your hands dirty. You can use gloves if you wish. Just pour all your powder into a clean bucket and mix away...

I haven't done any bucket mixing, I have and still consider it.
Negative, if one lot had a significant higher or lower burn rate, though still within manufacturers specifications, it would set your recipe off by said amount, for the 5, 10 or complete poundage.
Then the next batch would need to be calibrated.
Question, is it me, my gun wearing out, or the powder.

I have noticed that 5~10℉ of ammunition temperature can show an increasing change of noticeable POI at only a 1/4 mile, much greater as the range increases. My body temp holds pretty stable though.

My wife does tell me that at times I am quite anal.

Body oils or sweat...Id use a glove! Or a vibrator... Just push it down the middle like normal and let it run!

Someone will probably think I'm overthinking this, but define "mix well"?
I have 3lbs of H1000 from two lots that I should mix before I start load development.
I don't have a 8lb jug. Tupperware container? Shake or stir?
I wouldn't shake or stir as much as I would roll the entire container there are coatings on many powders that control burn rate on the outside if you break up the powders or agitate them way too much that could affect the burn rate possibly just my opinion

I use an industrial sized cake mixer with anti-static sheets in the powder, and I use the cake batter paddle to mix anywhere up to 20lbs of powder at a time. The bowl is glass and is shrouded in top.
If I am pouring the leftovers of single pounders into a 5 or 8 pound jug, I just hold the jug against my case tumbler for a few minutes.
I will add that my precision hand loads have been more consistent across the board from mixing lots.
I can work a load, tune it, tune the barrel and it will stay in the node for several hundred rounds, only requiring tweaking when the throat elongates and the charge needs adjusting.
H1000 is notorious for swings and they go away when you blend.
In fact, my list of powders that swing are Varget, H4350, H1000, RETUMBO, RE25 and RE22.
I had the Varget that was recalled, I worked up my loads for my 22-250 with it and, yes it was way hotter than it should have been, but I got the SAME velocity with less powder...bonus in my book!!

Cheers.

I wouldn't shake or stir as much as I would roll the entire container there are coatings on many powders that control burn rate on the outside if you break up the powders or agitate them way too much that could affect the burn rate possibly just my opinion
Having worked at ADI, the makers of all Hodgdon powders here in Australia, that is now French owned, the powder is tumbled to get that coating while still elasticised, it is further tumbled while air is passed through it to dry it prior to packaging.
Powder is pretty tough and the coatings aren't gonna rub off easily as they are in fact incorporated into the granules surface, not just sitting on it.
There is a new way they are making powder more than just progressive burning.
They have come up with coatings now that completely cover the perforation/s in the kernels changing how the powder burns.
Instead of burning from each end AND the inside from the perforation, the powder doesn't progressively burn until the coating is depleted first.

Cheers.

I used to do it but not anymore.

Lost several pounds of powder due to degradation.

One batch started to swell and contaminated the all powder.

There are other reasons for not doing. Some you already mentioned but the biggest one is that you never mix properly the different batches.

If you tumble the different batches you had to do it for a few hours, depending on the quantity, but that changes the properties of the surface of the powder with the friction between kernels.

Usually powder kernels are resurfaced with graphite and you remove most of it with that friction.

When you change for another flask, even of the same batch, reduce de usual load around 2-5% and walk it up checking velocity and pressure signs. Enjoy shooting!

I do it all the time. Keeps from having to re-work loads due to variations in lot to lot. Some powders are more inconsistant than others lot to lot. Why wonder? If I get 3-5 one pounders, put all in clean bucket, stir up by hand and mix thorougly, then pour back in 1 lb. bottles and label/date. I fill bottles to top to exclude air. End up with several full and one partial bottle. Work out of partial bottle first.
I do the same, but I'll pour them into 8lb kegs, keep empty 1pounder to emptying the charge master back into.

If that process worked well, factories wouldn't use lot numbers; they would just mix the leftovers with the next batch.
Have I done it on occasion? Yes, when I have an eigth of a lb of a powder I am not going to use in competition can be refilled from a newer 4 or 8 lb jug.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.