"Bucketing" or mixing powder from different lots. What say yee?

I try it once with alliant reloder 22 with Disastrous results .I guess it depends on brand but I won't do it with alliant reloder powder
Thanks for responding, but what was the disastrous result? I'm just trying to understand. I don't question in the least that a bad thing happened to you, just want to know what it was, as I have never heard of that occurring before.
Thanks in advance,
Rex

I don't blend just for the specific reason of the companies issuing powder recalls years after the powder hit the shelves. Then what do you do? Toss out the whole mixed batch?? I just buy in the biggest container possible, or if buying one pound containers, I look at the lot numbers on them and sort by lot there at the store. If I have to re-work a load, so be it.

A wise word to the married guys: Do not use your wife's plastic mixing bowls to blend lots. The fine powder gets down into the scratched and will not come out. I paid for this mistake every time my wife got it out to make a salad. I finally hid it away in my reloading room and went and got her a new one.

Happy wife - Happy life.

My only concern would be if what if there would be a recall on one of the lots? Just saying. I've don't it but only with the same lot number.

Thanks for the great info! I have 8lbs Varget, 3 diff lots. Mixing now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 93
I make sure I use nonferrous mixing implements; wood, glass or plastic. Been mixing lots for years. When I refill 1lbers I fill them to the top and work from the partial. Saves a lot of room on the powder shelves.

For most rifles it would only take about 16lbs of powder to out last the barrel. I have hardly had any problem with powder and changes from one lot to another. With shotguns I have never worry about it,nor had any problem. Now I generally use H4350, H4831SC, and MRP powders for rifles The only others I use is W760. Going to run some test this year on temperature variance. With me having a new rifle being built, I am adding H1000, and 1 other powder to my list. I stay away for Reloads and IMR powder for rifles do to heat extremes. The only problem now is getting 16lbs at one time.

I have been mixing different lot numbers of the same powder for decades. It is the way to get consistency for a longer period of time without having to re-work your load when you get a new lot #
Never ran into the recall issue yet, but if it happens, it happens. Life is too short to fill my "worry box" with possible
occurrences. Regards, Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.