Buck Fever Hits A Snag

ADMIN

Administrator
The hunt for Snag began in 2011. I actually found Snag before I found Magnum, the giant 257 inch buck we killed in 2011. Snag was younger than Magnum that year. I estimated his age to be about 4 years old. Magnum was aged at 6 1/2 years old when he was taken in 2011. I was only able to locate Snag a handful of times over the next few years. He was a very secretive animal, like most cagey, old, monster bucks. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Buck Fever Hits A Snag, By Robb Wiley. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Very intense article showing the suppressed buck fever ( well Mostly so ) that keeps guides guiding rather than working a real job. All of us read these "there I was" articles hoping to gleam secret shooting techniques from Delta force operators etc. turned hunter and all we seem to ever get is "I learned a lot from....". How about a few more descriptions of what EXACTLY the "lot" was that you learned ..to share with your readers. Am I Critical..yes a little but more a redirecting in my mind to the writer and the editor.

Great article, Robb! I felt the intensity and I applaud you for the time getting your hunter ready for the shot. Practical steps rather than wishful thinking resulted in Preparation meeting Opportunity. I'm buying points and somewhat less than patiently awaiting my turn.... :cool:

I'm buying points and somewhat less than patiently awaiting my turn.... :cool:

I've got enough points for both of us Tim!:D

Good write up Robb! I'll see you in August, and we'll find out if I can still manage in that country. After that who knows:Dgun)

I'm in the beginning phase of using a tripod. Tim got me using it as a shotgun rest, and he talked a little about using a mono pod as a rear support (adjustable hiking stick with a V notch on top), any thoughts on that?

I'm a bit clumsy for sticks, What is your thinking on Harris type bipods in your area? A length you favor or?

Is that an invitation, Carl? :rolleyes:

Points are the easy part! I've got 9, I think we need 3-4 each to draw this particular hunt, the extra just disappear when I draw, and Wyoming allows averaging for partners. I anticipate a bit of point creep, between now and then. If I recall NTO is a couple of years out.

I've already told my trainer getting a leg over by August is a priority.:D Belly down over a mule sounds embarrassing.

Once I figure out what level of "grueling" it rises to, I can start making concrete plans. Right now it's just an ambitious idea to see if I've got one more left in me.

If you are going with Rob and his hard core outfit start riding a lot the months leading up to your hunt and I do not mean on a small nag either , his stock is draft horse cross and though well mannered ,very large (wide)and powerful . Rob will take you out of your comfort zone for a memorable hunt in some amazing wilderness. They will not quit on you . When I went I hadn't a clue what I was in for and could not comprehend what 6 -7 hrs. a day on a horse was about but man did I get a education. I left early last spring from a bear hunt because I was not able to ride any more , it was not due to any lack of effort on the part of my outfitter. If finances ever permit I would love to get Rob to lead me back in to those mountains again and see if I can hold up my end of the deal. I highly suggest requesting Bonny as your mount :)

Great article written by Robb. I felt like I was on the hunt while reading it.
James Hurst

Great story and congrats on the beautiful deer!

I was curious about the hunting party. It sounds like a mix of guides and clients? Or was this all local guides just hunting together?

The ability to scout the ground throughout the year makes me envious. I live 1k miles away from the ground I hunt and don't get a chance to scout before I actually arrive for the season. The migration patterns for mule deer are fascinating. I wonder if those "mover" bucks are really covering that much ground or just going nocturnal?

awesome read and a hunt I would love to partake in one day. Someday I feel that could be me up there.. One day

Congrats to all involved. That was truly epic

Brian

My hunting partner just got back to Alaska. We hunted together a few years back when I was still in the army.... well OK camped together since we did not know what we were doing. Well I ended up staying here and learning the "ropes" and have been pretty successfull. So when he came back it was my turn to show him the ropes. We had a bait stand and the first bear that walked in 20 yds mind you .......he missed and I took it with follow up.

Bou hunting this year he was given first shot then as well..........he missed and I took it with follow up shot.

I watched him shoot at the range before each outing and he was on..... But to make him feel better I told him awwww must have gotten knocked off on the trip out here( yeah right).... He did roll his 4 wheeler and snap that "non shooting" gun in half and is going to have to buy a new one... I cannot wait to see what the next excuse is going to be next year.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts