Buck and bull with new 300 rum

RED MIST

Buck and bull that I got at Redd Ranches (Utah) with my good friend and guide, David Redd. Used my new 300 RUM rifle built by Kirby Allen and loads that Goodgrouper and I put together (thanks). Deer shot at 490 yards and elk at 350 yards. A little surprised at the 200 gr. Accubonds on the elk, broke a rib on entry and under the hide on exit, only weighed 88 grs, but it worked.

GEYSER%202009%20008_800x600.jpg

GEYSER%202009%20013_800x600.jpg

GEYSER%202009%20015_800x600.jpg

GEYSER%202009%20021_800x600.jpg

GEYSER%202009%20025_800x600.jpg

Very nice.

I do not know of any high fence ranches that require you to wear orange so I would bet these are wild game hunts but do not know for sure.

Again, As good of a mule deer as that is, generally high fence mule deer do not do all that well as far as antler size so again, I would bet wild game hunt.

Good shooting and great trophies!!!

These are fair chase animals. In utah they have CWMU's (like Colorado's ranching for wildlife). Ranchers join the program, they get longer hunting seasons and CWMU's give tags to the fish and game that go into Utah's draw for the public. This gives the public a chance to hunt some very good private land for just the price of the tag. Dave treats the public very well. This year the biggest buck so far is 195" and last year the biggest bull were both killed by the public hunters.
I have been hunting with David Redd for about 13 years, once in Utah and the rest in Colorado. He offers very good hunts in Colorado, Utah, Kansas and Texas.
The buck scored 176" b.c. Gross, will leave the velvet just as I killed him.
The elk scored 393 b.c. Gross, but they measured a mass measurement in the wrong place on the non typical side, this will deduct some but have not had a chance to re-score it yet.

Fantastic specimens of both species Ron. Hope to someday have something like them hanging on my wall! Until then, I guess I'll have to be happy helping other people who can actually DRAW the dang tags get theirs instead.

Bet you really like that new rifle now!

Very impressive! I too hope to have some of those kind of animals on my wall someday! Thanks for sharing and especially sharing the pics.

A couple of very nice critters! Congrats and well done! Is that bull actually a 5x6 typical with a long non-typical tine coming off the main beam which you are holding in the first two photos? A very unique admirable specimen.

Hope I can come close to that with my 300 RUM this year.

Cheers,

-MR

GOODGROUPER: LOVE THE RIFLE, HAVE BEEN VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE ACCURACY, FLAT SHOOTING, AND EASE OF SHOOTING, KIRBY DID A GOOD JOB. THE LEUPOLD VX-7 3.5 X 14 x 50 SCOPE WE PUT ON IS ONE OF THE BEST SCOPES I HAVE EVER USED. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN SETTING IT UP. NOW I JUST NEED TIME TO LEARN HOW TO SHOOT LONG RANGE BETTER.
GOOD LUCK AT THE COLORADO B.R. SHOOT.

Looks like your hunt was a good one Ron. Lots of character going on with that Bull (besides being big ) and a beautiful buck as well !! Pretty nice combo hunt !!! Thanks for sharing with us ------- 7mmRHB

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.