Buck and bull equal 2220 yards.

new shooter

My husband (Mike) and I are writing this short story for my Dad for Christmas-He loves this site and the stories but technology has crept ahead of him. He has dreamed and practiced for the 1k plus shot and it has paid off.

My Dad's (Joe's) first long range kill over 1000 yards. This was a classic canyon hunt, get all your gear in, be patient and watch some great looking elk country. The second morning of the season, patience paid off and a young bull fed into a avalanche shoot 1055 yards across from us. It was a great morning with no wind and after confirming the range two more times Mike moved the tripod directly behind him to spot the shot. It is amazing watching shots at this distance, the brain can't quite keep up with what the eye is seeing. I could clearly see the vapor trail arc high above my line of sight and over the bull then start dropping back to the elk. My mind thought "too high" but my eye saw the bull drop with a spine shot. One of the coolest shots I have ever seen.

A few weeks later with his grandson present again he filled his buck tag with a 1165 yard shot. He is lucky in more ways than one with his three grandsons and son-in-law playing retriever and packing out all the meat. The only negative was no pictures with the elk or deer but his grandson was happy to pose. Pictures are attached: slide the bull was in with gun, big smile with grandson after shot, grandson with elk-elk was shot from the clear cut on the far hill side, grandson with buck.

I will let him fill you in on the rest of the technical info!

Merry Christmas Dad!

Attachments

• dad.jpg
    dad.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 22
  • dad5.jpg
    dad5.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 18
  • dad1.jpg
    dad1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 20
  • dad4.jpg
    dad4.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 22
  • dad3.jpg
    dad3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 21
Very nice post, congrats Joe on your bull and buck. Your a blessed man to have the family you have. Thanks for sharing your season with us, new shooter.

Merry Christmas everyone,I just veiwed the best gift ever. I never could have done this on my own.
I am truly blessed with an awesome daughter and family(retrievers).The learning of long range shooting has been a great experience for me, without you guys on this sight I never would have been able to learn the skills to make these kinds of shots. The only negative is it has nearly caused me to go broke! I started from scratch going from a bow hunter to long range, but boy am I glad I did-it has been a great adventure.

My son in law and friends had been bowhunting this area and getting into elk and thought it would be a great long range spot for me. Rifle season opens just 1 wk after bow closes so my wife and I made the 2 mile hike to check it out. The country looked beautiful and ideal with 5 big open slides to watch and shoot to. Ranges from 600 to 1300 yards. My wife said this is beautiful but how the heck are we going to get an elk out of there-we're getting to old for this. I told her to suck it up, it should only take her 8 or 9 trips! I wont tell you what she said.

My son in law and grand sons offered to be the mules so the hunt was on. I packed in gear the day before the season and glassed that evening and saw a 5 piont and spike-going to make it hard to sleep tonight.

Opening day started a little depressing as it was raining and there were more hunters around than I had hoped. After sitting and watching in the rain all day my son in law and grandson came up the trail. The bulls finally showed up that evening but the clouds settled in making a shot impossible.

We were back before daylight the next morning and an hour later the bull showed up. We ranged him and then there was some frantic pruning to open up a shooting lane.I finally got comfortable , dialed in and ready to shoot. I could actually see the bullet trace through my scope too and saw the bull drop and slide to a short stop and not even kick.I leaped up from that prone position and my son in law said he had no idea I could move that fast. Then he said I just saw that but I cant believe it(the shot and the leap).

.338 AX built by Kirby Allen
300 grn SMK
3020 fps
night force 5.5-22 x 56
swarovski range finder
kestrel wind guage
Kowa 880 spotting scope
jewel trigger
manners stock

And 800 rounds of practise

SEE WHY IM BROKE !!!

Merry Christmas everyone,I just veiwed the best gift ever. I never could have done this on my own.
I am truly blessed with an awesome daughter and family(retrievers).The learning of long range shooting has been a great experience for me, without you guys on this sight I never would have been able to learn the skills to make these kinds of shots. The only negative is it has nearly caused me to go broke! I started from scratch going from a bow hunter to long range, but boy am I glad I did-it has been a great adventure.

My son in law and friends had been bowhunting this area and getting into elk and thought it would be a great long range spot for me. Rifle season opens just 1 wk after bow closes so my wife and I made the 2 mile hike to check it out. The country looked beautiful and ideal with 5 big open slides to watch and shoot to. Ranges from 600 to 1300 yards. My wife said this is beautiful but how the heck are we going to get an elk out of there-we're getting to old for this. I told her to suck it up, it should only take her 8 or 9 trips! I wont tell you what she said.

My son in law and grand sons offered to be the mules so the hunt was on. I packed in gear the day before the season and glassed that evening and saw a 5 piont and spike-going to make it hard to sleep tonight.

Opening day started a little depressing as it was raining and there were more hunters around than I had hoped. After sitting and watching in the rain all day my son in law and grandson came up the trail. The bulls finally showed up that evening but the clouds settled in making a shot impossible.

We were back before daylight the next morning and an hour later the bull showed up. We ranged him and then there was some frantic pruning to open up a shooting lane.I finally got comfortable , dialed in and ready to shoot. I could actually see the bullet trace through my scope too and saw the bull drop and slide to a short stop and not even kick.I leaped up from that prone position and my son in law said he had no idea I could move that fast. Then he said I just saw that but I cant believe it(the shot and the leap).

.338 AX built by Kirby Allen
300 grn SMK
3020 fps
night force 5.5-22 x 56
swarovski range finder
kestrel wind guage
Kowa 880 spotting scope
jewel trigger
manners stock

And 800 rounds of practise

SEE WHY IM BROKE !!!

Sweeeeeeeeeet ! I have been Broke before with nothing to show for it .:D Good shooting

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.