BTR for .338 Norma Magnum *Good Luck*

Ripper

Well, so many well respected shooter's and competitor's are swearing up and down how much better the Norma performs over the Lapua, so I'm having one built after talking to a good friend.

I am unable to get a hold of him right now becaues he is camping in the White Mountains in Arizona right now so I need some guidance.

I am trying to settle between two twist rate's. The first one being the common and popular 1:9 the LM uses. The other 1:9.5 which was recommended by the gunsmith putting it together.

Here's the catch. I heard there was a new awesome 340 Gn. match Gn. comming out and I was told the 1:9 twist would be better for this.

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one and hoping someone with some .338 experience can chime in and give me some advice and or opinion.

Thanks for your time,
-RIP

I'm working on a 338 NM also and when I emailed the guys at Brux barrels they suggested a 1-9.3 but it is spec'ed for a 300gr projectile. I did not question why they spec'ed it that way but it seems that the 338 NM is running a tighter twist than other similar chamberings.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.