Bryant Custom .260 is done

Hondo64d

Just got this picture from Mike at Bryant Custom . Gonna drive up and get it this week.

Stiller Predator
#4 8.5" twisted Brux finished at 24"
.260 Rem
Shillen Trigger
3" Wyatt's Box
PT&G bottom metal
Stiller 20 MOA Aluminum base
McMillan Remington Hunter Stock, Arctic Flame, flush cups on left side

More pics to follow.

John
image001.jpg

A couple more pics and how it shoots:

PA140026.jpg

PA140025.jpg

The first five shots I fired with it. Thought this was pretty good with no load development and virgin brass. Mike Bryant knows how to build a shooter!

John

130grVLD465grH4831BR2Lapua2433185.jpg

Nice rig and nice shooting. See that your load used H4831. Try H4350, you will realize much better velocities.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

The load shown above averages 2839.

Today, 42.5gr H4350 gave me 2898, but there was some vertical stringing that I can't account for. Think I'll try seating depth adjustment. If I can get that veritcal out, this will be an awesome load.

Edited to add that the necked up Lapua .243 brass definitely formed the doughnut on the very first firing. I can easily slide a bullet into a fired case until just short of the neck/shoulder junction, where the bullet comes to a definite stop. For now, I will use my Remington .260 brass, but may try Lapua .260 brass. Hesitant to do so because so many have said they have to turn the necks with the new Lapua .260 brass. That is something I wish to avoid.

John

130grVLD425grH4350BR2Lapua2433185.jpg

Last edited:
The load shown above averages 2839.

Today, 42.5gr H4350 gave me 2898, but there was some vertical stringing that I can't account for. Think I'll try seating depth adjustment. If I can get that veritcal out, this will be an awesome load.

Edited to add that the necked up Lapua .243 brass definitely formed the doughnut on the very first firing. I can easily slide a bullet into a fired case until just short of the neck/shoulder junction, where the bullet comes to a definite stop. For now, I will use my Remington .260 brass, but may try Lapua .260 brass. Hesitant to do so because so many have said they have to turn the necks with the new Lapua .260 brass. That is something I wish to avoid.

John

You should be able to push those 130grain bullets even faster. I shoot 130grain JLK bullets with 45grains of H4350. The load produces 3000+fps.

Also, as soon as Lapua came out with 260 brass, I bought 200 pieces. I have fired them all and am now on their second firing. The brass is great and has not given me any troubles at all in terms of reloading and feeding from a magazine. Lapua brass is so uniform that neck turning was not required.

You should be able to push those 130grain bullets even faster. I shoot 130grain JLK bullets with 45grains of H4350. The load produces 3000+fps.

Also, as soon as Lapua came out with 260 brass, I bought 200 pieces. I have fired them all and am now on their second firing. The brass is great and has not given me any troubles at all in terms of reloading and feeding from a magazine. Lapua brass is so uniform that neck turning was not required.

I have a 24" barrel as opposed to your 28", so I'm thinking maybe 100fps less than yours.

It's not neck uniformity problems with the Lapua .260 brass, but rather the necks being too thick to release the bullet cleanly in some chambers, making it necessary to turn the necks. Have you experienced this with your Lapua .260 brass? if not, maybe I should give them a try.

John

I have a 24" barrel as opposed to your 28", so I'm thinking maybe 100fps less than yours.

It's not neck uniformity problems with the Lapua .260 brass, but rather the necks being too thick to release the bullet cleanly in some chambers, making it necessary to turn the necks. Have you experienced this with your Lapua .260 brass? if not, maybe I should give them a try.

John

2900fps with 130grain bullets is still provides awesome exterior ballistics.

I have had no trouble at all with Lapua brass. I took it out of the box, uniformed the primer pockets and flash holes, neck sized and loaded them up and started shooting. Have never had a problem. This includes shooting ten rounds in less than a minute at a tactical match. each round fed right out of the magazine without any troubles. This has been true with virgin brass and once fired brass (that was only neck sized). Accuracy has consistently been .5moa or better.

Mr. Bryant did my 260. It is not tight necked. I load the Lapua brass right out of the box. Works well.

Very nice rifle and some very good groups. Should be a fantastic shooter once you get the load you want and the rifle likes.

Very nice gun. Looks like it is a shooter for sure. My shooting buddy has a Sako TRG in 260 Rem and it does a very nice job. We shoot out to 1K yards on a pretty regular basis. The only problem I see with the cartridge is with such light bullets they really give him trouble in a stiff wind. He is using the 139gr. Scenars. I do really like the fact that the 260 is a very light recoiling round. His rig weighs about 13-14lbs, so I know that takes some of the sting out of the recoil though. Very nice gun indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.