BROWNING

I recently rebarreled my 1989 A-Bolt. Every gunsmith I asked, turned me down. They were scared to work on it was the excuse most of them gave me. McGowan were the only ones I found that would rebarrel it and they did not disappoint. They made me a full custom barrel in a 25-06. I bought a Mcmillan stock, a timmney spring kit, EGW pic rail and a Nightforce scope to complete the build. Took about a box of ammo to break in. Shoots Federal ammo in a 115gr Partion pretty good. Can't wait to start reloading to see what it can really do. Here is a couple of pics of the rifle and the 5 shot group at 100yds. That one flyer was my fault. I pulled it a little.

They are very accurate rifles. Mine is built on a BBR action chambered in 7mm/08 with a 26" SS varmint profile J C Custom 1/8.5 twist. Shoots great but like I posted not many parts to get for it. Boyd's make a stock but not for a short action BBR. No triggers that I can find. As I stated I was told the lack of parts was because they change models a little to often. I really like their rifles but the parts part is a bumer. Then the gunsmith part doesn't help either.

I have had a .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker for about 20 years and it is very accurate.

This November I bought a 6.5 CM Browning -Bolt Pro, Browning's top-of-the-line "semi custom" rifle with stainless barreled action, carbon fiber stock and fluted barrel, & spiral fluted bolt and bolt handle and factory barrel lapping.. Its design really is a bit better than my A-Bolt in some ways. But both have the same great quality and accuracy. The only customization I'd do on it is a Bartlein stainless 5R barrel when I wear out the factory barrel. And it will have a 1:7.5 twist instead of 1:8 as it does now.

Today I shot my X-Bolt Pro at my range to sight-in my rifle with new Talley burnt bronze Cerakoted rings to match the rile. I got 3/4 MOA at 200 yards with Hornady 140 gr. ELD-M (Match) factory ammo. SWFA 3 - 15 x 42 scope, FFP, mil/mil, side focus.

Soon I'll be reloading for it. I'm anxious to see how it shoots Hornady 147 ELD-M hand loaded bullets.

Eric B.

I have a A-bolt stainless stalker in .300 win that may be my most consistently accurate rifle and an A-bolt II composite in .338 win that is almost as good. I shortened both barrels to 24 inches shortly after buying them though because that extra couple inches made them feel awkward. The hardest part of tuning them was the trigger which takes much fiddling but is doable. I put a muzzle brake on the .338 because I got it for nothing. A friend blew up his A-bolt .338 and had no need for the screw-on brake afterward. My gunsmith wasn't fussy about pulling the barrel on mine to install it, as some of you have said, but his reason was because A-bolt receivers are sand blasted after being barrelled and the grit gets into the threads making them difficult to break free - but he managed it anyway. My biggest complaint about the A-bolt composites, at least the older ones like mine, is the stock. The front end is flimsy and twists easily making contact with the barrel unless you have lots of relief. I ended up epoxying a piece of aluminum channel under the barrel to firm it up although it adds a noticeable bit of weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.