Browning xbolt 26/28 nosler.

:D As someone who's hunted with the 7mmRM for over 16 years, I can honestly say, I love my "boring ol' 7mmRM." Had about 5 different ones over the years, and they've all dropped everything I've asked them to with no issues. I still have lots of other cartridges and calibers, both larger and smaller, and they all work just fine. But there's just something about the 7mmRM, that over the years, has became my absolute preferred deer cartridge. Maybe it's the fact that it's the perfect mix of diameter and bullet weights in the 7mm caliber, or the efficiency of the 7mmRM case, or the mild recoil without muzzle brakes in all rifle weights from ultralight to heavy, or the high velocities and flat trajectory that seems to kill deer like a lightning bolt. I guess it's all of the above. :cool:
I have a braked 7mm stw that I really like, I think I would like the 28 nosler as well but the 7mm rem mag is just easy. Most folks doesn't need a brake for it. Once you get the hang of reloading for it, a fellow can make just about any rifle chambered in 7mm rem mag shoot good. I can get 50 pieces of Nosler or Norma brass for around $20 cheaper than 25 pieces of the same brand in my 7stw or a 28 nosler. Now ive said all this and I know that everyone has a cartridge dear to their heart and that's great also. I got started reloading on a 7mm rem mag. I sort of feel like if I can't get one to shoot good quickly, then something is bad wrong with it. I don't believe there is anything magic about the 7mm rem mag but it is an all around cartridge. 180gr low drag bullets turns this old 60's relic into a long range low budget hammer. Lots of folks are awaiting a mainstream belt-less cartridge with less shoulder taper to replace it. The 7mm blaser could possibly see mass success. Might try the blaser if I shoot the barrels out of my three 7mm rem mags & stw. Will probably be a long time before that happens though.

I
Looking for first hand experience from any browning x-bolt owners. Looking at models with and without the muzzle brake. Looking specifically at the 26 and 28 nosler X-bolt options, not interested in any other options. I already have a heavy barreled 26 nosler so I'm aware of the cost. How is the recoil of these cartridges in the lighter weight brownings (~7# rifle), without and without a muzzle brake? Do the lighter weight hunting barrels have good accuracy? What loads have been most consistent out of your browning, whether handloads or factory. Thanks for any first hand experience whether its a positive or negative experience.
I have a 7mm-08 xbolt. I had a long range hunter braked 300wm & a braked 26" 270wsm that was the predecessor to the hells canyon. Twist was slower than advertised on the two I sold. I have mixed feelings about the xbolts. My honest opinion is that it's possible to get a good shooter & possible to get a mediocre shooter but that's a possibility with a lot of rifles. I would go no smaller than a muzzle thread size of 5/8-24 on a 7mm. I have heard some very limited reports of muzzle swelling. I know there are several xbolt loyals here and probably because they got a great shooter. I guess the twist issues I had is what leaves me with with some skepticism. Nevertheless you may indeed be happy with an xbolt. The recoil of my 300 wm wasn't that bad so I assume the 28n probably won't be either.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a hells canyon long range in 7rm that seems to shoot everything about the same, at least every hand load I've done for it. He just bought the same rifle in 30 nosler which I have in my possesion to do load development. I don't recall shooting the other one with the brake installed, but recoil was managable without issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.