Browning xbolt 26/28 nosler.

tankgijohn72

Looking for first hand experience from any browning x-bolt owners. Looking at models with and without the muzzle brake. Looking specifically at the 26 and 28 nosler X-bolt options, not interested in any other options. I already have a heavy barreled 26 nosler so I'm aware of the cost. How is the recoil of these cartridges in the lighter weight brownings (~7# rifle), without and without a muzzle brake? Do the lighter weight hunting barrels have good accuracy? What loads have been most consistent out of your browning, whether handloads or factory. Thanks for any first hand experience whether its a positive or negative experience.

Not a 26 or 28 nosler, but this is my x-bolt eclipse hunter in 7mm rem mag.

Attachments

• 20171027_184948.jpg
    20171027_184948.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 498
  • 20180520_193722.jpg
    20180520_193722.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 537
I have one of the LR McMillan in 28 Nosler, it's a hell of a nice rifle. Recoils less my son's m700 .270. shoots 180 Eld-m into .5-.6 with very little load development, only tried one powder (rl33) and turns out the starting load of 86.0 was the winner, 3185 fps with consistent .5-.6 groups.

I also have one of he thinks barreled speeds in 6.5 cm and it shoots really well also, .75 with the one and only load I tried out of it.

You dont want that rifle. It's just a boring ol 7mm Rm......
:D As someone who's hunted with the 7mmRM for over 16 years, I can honestly say, I love my "boring ol' 7mmRM." Had about 5 different ones over the years, and they've all dropped everything I've asked them to with no issues. I still have lots of other cartridges and calibers, both larger and smaller, and they all work just fine. But there's just something about the 7mmRM, that over the years, has became my absolute preferred deer cartridge. Maybe it's the fact that it's the perfect mix of diameter and bullet weights in the 7mm caliber, or the efficiency of the 7mmRM case, or the mild recoil without muzzle brakes in all rifle weights from ultralight to heavy, or the high velocities and flat trajectory that seems to kill deer like a lightning bolt. I guess it's all of the above. :cool:

:D As someone who's hunted with the 7mmRM for over 16 years, I can honestly say, I love my "boring ol' 7mmRM." Had about 5 different ones over the years, and they've all dropped everything I've asked them to with no issues. I still have lots of other cartridges and calibers, both larger and smaller, and they all work just fine. But there's just something about the 7mmRM, that over the years, has became my absolute preferred deer cartridge. Maybe it's the fact that it's the perfect mix of diameter and bullet weights in the 7mm caliber, or the efficiency of the 7mmRM case, or the mild recoil without muzzle brakes in all rifle weights from ultralight to heavy, or the high velocities and flat trajectory that seems to kill deer like a lightning bolt. I guess it's all of the above. :cool:
It's my favorite round of all time. It's well rounded and nothing in North America will take a well placed round from it. With new 7mm bullets and new powders, it has breathed new life into the old war horse. Eventually I'm going to build another with an 8 twist for 180s to the 197 smk.

I had a 26 nosler in a browning xbolt stalker without the brake. In my opinion the rifle had a pretty sharp recoil and just was that fun to shoot. Now shooting at game is different but sighting it in wasn't that fun. I felt the recoil was quite a bit more than a 300 wsm I have in a weatherby but the weatherby weights quotes a bit more. I now have a 26 nosler in a browning hells canyon with the brake and it recoils like my 243. Very manageable and I can always take the brake off if needed when hunting. I love the hells canyon long range with the heavier barrel and still coming in light weight. I have not yet begun and serious load development and only shot the factory nosler ammo for break in and to get some brass. 1 to 1.25 inch groups with the factory stuff

thanks, that the info i was looking for. I'm mostly worried about the recoil. 26 would probably be the only option for that rifle. Its too light. Found a good deal on them, but may have to pass. Did the unbraked stalker model shoot well? I did consider putting a witt machine clamp on brake on it.

It shot pretty well with the nosler factory ammo. I haven't started load development yet and may have to wait for cooler temps as it's already 100 in Texas. I would say inch groups and possibly less are reasonable with the nosler ammo. Check around for gunsmiths too..there is a guy near me that will thread a barrel for $50. Check gunbroker for the stalkers. Really great price and that is where I bought mine plus I think browning is having a rebate right now.

I have an Xbolt in 28 Nosler. Gun is amazingly accurate. I got it off gun broker for $515 plus tax and shipping. I put a brake on mine before I shot it, but with the brake the recoil is very manageable. We are loading once fired Nosler brass with with 180 gr bergers over 81.5 grains of retumbo @3132 fps

I have an Xbolt in 28 Nosler. Gun is amazingly accurate. I got it off gun broker for $515 plus tax and shipping. I put a brake on mine before I shot it, but with the brake the recoil is very manageable. We are loading once fired Nosler brass with with 180 gr bergers over 81.5 grains of retumbo @3132 fps

Which brake did you put on the 28?

whats the over all length?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts