Browning X-bolts with fast twist rates...Any thoughts?

300 Driver

im in the market for a new rifle and just ran across this.

Browning has multiple x-bolt models this year with 1:8" twist in 300 WM and 1:8 28 Nosler. Seems like this is a good thing, but here's my question. I'm intrigued by the Pro long range, Hells Canyon McMillan Ambush LR, and the grey laminate LR. All had the 1:8 twist. The Hells Canyon McMillan LR has a 1:9.5 twist.

1:8 twist in a 300 WM? Isn't that too much for the 208/212/215 bullets? Can a 300 WM send the 225/230 bullets fast enough to outrun the 215?

Anyone shooting a fast twist 300 WM with hands on experience?

It won't be too fast of a twist for the heavies in a 300wm. No different than a 6.5 shooting 100gr bullets.

From terminal performance testing I am pretty stead fast in my data that bullet sg at a min of 1.5 is necessary for good terminal performance. Lead core bullets in fast twist barrels with high launch speeds can have trouble. I think the bullet industry has done a good job of producing bullets that are tougher now for the faster twist barrels running the high bc bullets. I don't test them so I can't say for sure, but I don't read about the problems anymore.

With our 227g Hammer Hunter it is quite long in order to get that heavy in a pure copper bullet. At 1.888" they require an 8" twist to be fully stable. These are a great bullet, but we don't sell much of them since they require the 8" twist. We may now start moving more of this bullet with factory rifles picking up the twist rate. The 8" twist in the 28cal rifles allows them to run our 177g Hammer Hunter. This bullet is physically the same size as the 195g Bergers, just to give an idea of how the lead vs copper weight compares. These long nosed Hammers are pretty devastating when they shed 3 or 4 large nose petals and still retain 70% of the original weight.

Cudos to Browning stepping up to start catching up with the custom market. Now we just need to see them extend the mag boxes to accommodate the long bullets that they are capable of shooting. Single shooting for long range hunting is not that big of a deal.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.