Browning X Bolt vs. Tikka T3

Rizla

I'm in the market for a .243 to go after deer and pigs in the forest. So I want something relatively maneuverable to get around trees as well as in and out of the land rover. Max range will be 200 yards, maybe 300. At the moment I'm leaning towards the Browning because it comes glass bedded and hand chambered. Plus, I believe, it comes in a little cheaper.

Am I on the right track? What are your views?

It looks like you are. Either should be accurate enough at those ranges, how well the rifle
"feels" in your hands would be the deal maker for me. Availability, and price are factors but having a rifle that fits you is worth something.

I looked at the Tikka 243 . it has a 1 in 10 twist , which could have trouble stabilizing the longer heavier bullets . I'm not sure what twist rate browning is using . Jim

Browning X-bolt has a 1-10 twist.

If you want to step up in caliber, I have a Browning X-Bolt .300 WSM for sale in the classifieds.

Both are great rifles. at 200-300 yards on deer with a .243 you dont need the big heavy bullets anyways so no need to worry about twist. I havent shot the Browning in a while so not sure the accuracy they are producing. The Tikka however will probably blow your socks off with accuracy. They use Sako Bbls and the quality is amazing for the dollar spent. My wife hunts with a Tikka T3 25-06 and true story, her aunt works for Browning 80 miles from us.

Thanks for the help guys! I'll try to get my hands on some asap.
The Tikka they both have a 1 in 10, as do most of the .243s I've been looking at, though some were 1-9 twist. But as Sako7STW said, it won't be necessary to push 115 grains down the pipe. 95-100 gr will suffice. I'm also designing a real fancy custom rig in a big 6.5mm wildcat of some sort so that will take care of all real long range precision stuff.

about 2 months ago I was shopping for a left handed 243 , I passed on the Tikka because of the 1 in 10 twist . I ended up with a lefty 7mm-08 X-bolt , it shoots good . this is my first browning rifle and so far I'm impressed . Jim

I own both a Tikka T3 Lite and Brownings. Both are great guns but I prefer the Browing. Couldn't tell you why but I love the bolt and the feel. Can't go wrong w/ either but I would buy a Browning.

I've got a lh T3ss in 270 and it is a solid 1/2" 100 yard gun with most loads; it is the least finicky gun I own. I also own a browning a-bolt ss stalker lh boss 300 win (no x-bolt yet) and it is simply the most deadly rifle I own. I usually use it as a backup simply because I need to actually try to kill something with the other rifles first as this one has so many more kills on it. Either choice will do you well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts