Browning X-bolt Varmint Special .300WSM

So I set up a few targets, 250 yards and 500 yards. I hit the 250yard target (one of those Big Gong self healing targets) but when I tried to dope for 500 yards I wasnt able to hit it. Heres how I did it, correct me please.

500 yards = 43 inch drop so 43\2.25 =19.1 or 19 clicks.

Does this sound right? The balistic calculator on here told me I needed 33 clicks, weird!!

<---- confused.lightbulb

Last edited:
So I set up a few targets, 250 yards and 500 yards. I hit the 250yard target (one of those Big Gong self healing targets) but when I tried to dope for 500 yards I wasnt able to hit it. Heres how I did it, correct me please.

500 yards = 43 inch drop so 43\2.25 =19.1 or 19 clicks.

Does this sound right? The balistic calculator on here told me I needed 33 clicks, weird!!

<---- confused.lightbulb
33/4=8 1/4MOA What MOA adjustment did your progam say to use?

Ok I just ran the generic numbers through Hornady's program again and get 8.1 MOA assuming standard mounting etc and a 100yds zero so the two programs are spitting out almost identical data.

33/4=8 1/4MOA What MOA adjustment did your progam say to use?

Ok I just ran the generic numbers through Hornady's program again and get 8.1 MOA assuming standard mounting etc and a 100yds zero so the two programs are spitting out almost identical data.

Um, im not familiar with the MOA adjustments, the ballistict calculator gave me the option to select MOA or clicks, im more familiar with clicks so I used that.

Im using the .300WSM Winchester 180 GR Supreme Etips

Um, im not familiar with the MOA adjustments, the ballistict calculator gave me the option to select MOA or clicks, im more familiar with clicks so I used that.

Im using the .300WSM Winchester 180 GR Supreme Etips
Look at the scope turret. It should be numbered 1-x whatever. Between each numeral there should be three hash marks. Each hash mark = 1/4 moa on an MOA scope.

one MOA then equals 4 clicks.

You need to start thinking in MOA plus quarters rather than clicks because counting a bunch of clicks is a good way to get lost.

Look at the scope turret. It should be numbered 1-x whatever. Between each numeral there should be three hash marks. Each hash mark = 1/4 moa on an MOA scope.

one MOA then equals 4 clicks.

You need to start thinking in MOA plus quarters rather than clicks because counting a bunch of clicks is a good way to get lost.

Im learning!!!!

It went well today, we sighted in my Browning .300WSM at 100 (3 shot groups at less than 1'')

Set up a 270 yard pop up ground hog target, dopped the scope for 4 inches of drop, first shot I spun him round and round!! perfect center shot.

Moved up to a 320 yard shot, wack.... low 4 inches, dopped the scope and hit center. 5x +/- 2''

Then I went to a 500 yard shot, the furthest i've ever attempted with a target i've set up. I looked up the ballistics on my bullet, it drops 41.4 inches at 500 yards. So I did 41/2.25 and fired, I was low 5 inches?? anyways, I dialed 3 more clicks and destroyed it. Im starting to really get the hang of it, in my own way.

Wow that's one great looking rifle! If it shoots half as good as it looks you should be in good shape!

If you did not have your scope already I would suggest a Mil/Mil scope, but its not worth selling a scope you are already getting used too.

As you are learning ballistic calculators are only guidelines, there are so many variables, you need to build your own dope table from real shooting experience, but the calculator will get you close. Take good notes on every shot you can and you will learn what your trajectory is really like.

The ammo question is a great one! I have recently started using bullets by GS Custom, they are great! You should really check them out, I used the HV for hunting wild boar, much better results than normal bullets.

Good luck!

I noticed that elk are your goal at 1000.There are many schools of thought inthe hunting circle, published that believe you should have 1500 Energy for elk and 1000 E for deer. For AK game some say 2000E. I have a Browning A BOLT 325WSM, SHOOT 200NAB @ 2825. That put this rifle w/1599E at 500 yrds.AT 800 yrds it only has 936E, and 1000 =664E. You are seriously under gunned. I have taken many elk w/325 and towards 600 yrd. I would NEVER consider it for 1000. I have hunted elk for 36 yrs. and my buddies are elk hunters, seen 100s of elk taken and that is not even the beginning of a 1000 yrd.elk gun.My elk rifle has more E at 1750 yrds than that at 700 yrd.

I noticed that elk are your goal at 1000.There are many schools of thought inthe hunting circle, published that believe you should have 1500 Energy for elk and 1000 E for deer. For AK game some say 2000E. I have a Browning A BOLT 325WSM, SHOOT 200NAB @ 2825. That put this rifle w/1599E at 500 yrds.AT 800 yrds it only has 936E, and 1000 =664E. You are seriously under gunned. I have taken many elk w/325 and towards 600 yrd. I would NEVER consider it for 1000. I have hunted elk for 36 yrs. and my buddies are elk hunters, seen 100s of elk taken and that is not even the beginning of a 1000 yrd.elk gun.My elk rifle has more E at 1750 yrds than that at 700 yrd.

When I get to where I can make the shot, then i'll reevaluate. Thanks though.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.