Browning X-Bolt quandary

Darryle

I bought several X-Bolt rifles when they were first released. I kept a 223 for no other reason than everyone needs a 223 bolt gun.

I recently received it back from Browning because the stock was sticky. I went to the range today and best I can tell, this is a 12 twist barrel, but short of me verifying with a rod and patch, I am going to assume that the internet was correct.

I had believed this was an 8 twist all this time, since I rarely shot anything above 55gr, but bigger than Dallas it was keyholing 70gr Nosler RDF bullets.

The quandary is, this is the Super Short Action that Browning used for a short period of time on the 223 and 22-250. Stocks are impossible to find and so are gunsmiths willing to rebarrel a Browning.

Do I sell it outright or find a gunsmith that will screw a 7.5 twist barrel on it?

Thanks Darryle

I used oregunsmithing to rebarrel a browning x bolt and he builds his own stocks for them. He did great work and was spot on with the time to complete the project. He uses benchmark barrels but will let you send a blank of your choice if you want. He even does trigger work on them and most won't. Mine is right about 2 pounds perfect for a hunting rifle. Oregunsmithingllc.com

New tikka in 223 with a 1:8tw at scheels last weekend was $749 ...... can you get a barrel spun up for half that price? Personally I've never been a Browning fan because of almost zero aftermarket support and a shortage of gunsmiths around here willing to work on one. I'd sell it.

^^^ I'd also verify the twist rate. I purchased a new Tikka T3x in .223 Rem. in the last year.
It was advertised as, and factory stamped on the barrel as a 1-8" twist.
The gun wouldn't shoot anything 69 grain to 75 grains, as that was what I started load development with. Nothing but 7-10" scattergun patterns...
I came home from the range ****ed... I even said to a buddy that I was shooting with, "If I didn't know better, I'd sware this gun has a different twist rate.
Needless to say, when I got home, I checked it. Even though it is factory stamped 1-8"twist, turns out they installed a 1-12" twist.
It now shoots 40 gr. Nosler BT's in the high 4's.

New tikka in 223 with a 1:8tw at scheels last weekend was $749 ...... can you get a barrel spun up for half that price? Personally I've never been a Browning fan because of almost zero aftermarket support and a shortage of gunsmiths around here willing to work on one. I'd sell it

It'd be hard to compete with a 6.8lb rifle dressed out, but I will check it out

I bought several X-Bolt rifles when they were first released. I kept a 223 for no other reason than everyone needs a 223 bolt gun.

I recently received it back from Browning because the stock was sticky. I went to the range today and best I can tell, this is a 12 twist barrel, but short of me verifying with a rod and patch, I am going to assume that the internet was correct.

I had believed this was an 8 twist all this time, since I rarely shot anything above 55gr, but bigger than Dallas it was keyholing 70gr Nosler RDF bullets.

The quandary is, this is the Super Short Action that Browning used for a short period of time on the 223 and 22-250. Stocks are impossible to find and so are gunsmiths willing to rebarrel a Browning.

Do I sell it outright or find a gunsmith that will screw a 7.5 twist barrel on it?

Thanks Darryle
A friend has a couple xbolts, hclr versions, one 7RM and another 30Nos. He wanted to shoot the Barnes 168LRX in the 7RM but they just tumbled. If you look at the more recent versions of the rifle they have 1:8 twist barrel but I think his must have a 1:9.5. Barnes suggests that the bullet be used in 1:8 twist barrels. Those rifles from the factory now have a 1:8 twist barrel. Don't recall if his barrel is stamped with the twist on it.

Wish there was a stock that is generic in that it has a moldable inside so you could heat it and press any rifle into it and it will take the shape of said rifle. Let it cure and remove rifle and start some trim work instead of having to get one that is already inlet.

I really like the package and it handles nicely. I posted it, but thinking about calling Oregon Gunsmithing and inquire about rebarreling it with the same contour barrel, threaded if possible.

full-25419-356714-2e057eea_56e5_4ddb_9efb_6343bad59452.jpeg

Good luck, I had one of those x-bolts in 22-250 that you mentioned and that's the reason I got rid of it. I bought the 1:9 so I could load and shoot longer bullets come to find out it was the SS action and there was no magazine space for longer-heavier bullets such a waste. I ended up being able to trade it and a 17HMR off for a really nice AR in 6.5 Grendel. If I remember right that barrel did have a twist rate stamped onto the barrel. I'd double check to make sure.

Recent Posts