Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

Which gun is the better out of the box performer with nothing changed?

• Browning X-Bolt

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Winchester M70

Votes: 31 53.4%

• Total voters
:cool:

Come on now bud...let's not fill this thread with b.s....:cool:

As is in B.S. you mean your describing the Remington as the best shooter right? So your saying... you don't want me to fill the thread with the best shooter which is the Remington?

As is in B.S. you mean your describing the Remington as the best shooter right? So your saying... you don't want me to fill the thread with the best shooter which is the Remington?

Haha, I hear ya! I haven't shot any x-bolts, but have shot several 700's and I own several m70's. The winnie actions seem way smoother to me and come with a better safety to boot. The only m70 I own without an aftermarket barrel is my .30-06 beat through the woods deer rifle. When I bought it, 1 1/2" groups at 100 were the norm. After floating the barrel, bedding the action, trigger job, and load development, 1/2" to 5/8" at 100 are the norm. Worked up a load in a friends m70 coyote that shot ragged holes. Those are the only 2 factory barrels i've been able to get to shoot that well. I couldn't get any of the 700's I've loaded for to shoot under 3/4". That doesn't mean someone else can't, or has not gotten better results, just my experience.

Haha, I hear ya! I haven't shot any x-bolts, but have shot several 700's and I own several m70's. The winnie actions seem way smoother to me and come with a better safety to boot. The only m70 I own without an aftermarket barrel is my .30-06 beat through the woods deer rifle. When I bought it, 1 1/2" groups at 100 were the norm. After floating the barrel, bedding the action, trigger job, and load development, 1/2" to 5/8" at 100 are the norm. Worked up a load in a friends m70 coyote that shot ragged holes. Those are the only 2 factory barrels i've been able to get to shoot that well. I couldn't get any of the 700's I've loaded for to shoot under 3/4". That doesn't mean someone else can't, or has not gotten better results, just my experience.

Haha I'm just messing, everyone likes what they like. I just like Remingtons and have had good success with them. My Dad and I pillar bed and glass bed all of our 700s with Devcon plastic steel ourselves before we even shoot them. We also free float the rest of the barrel infront of the bedding and also freefloat the action, excluding the tang that's bedded and the bedded recoil lug. Our Varmint rifles shoot 1/4in groups easy and deer rifles 1/2in at the most but 3/8 are the norm. We have never had to rebarrel one and all have factory barrels and shoot very well. None of them are modified other than bedding and trigger jobs.

Stupid auto correct on the phone. Inside a MOA. With a vortex viper pst ffp scope
That smart phone isn't as smart as you thought it was? Anyway, without having handled one of the new model 70s, that would be my choice. I've handled plenty of A-Bolts & X-Bolts,,,,, not impressed at all. As for "most accurate", we're taking 'factory production' rifles here, right. Factory offerings are all "luck of the draw". None will be as accurate as a custom barrel properly installed, and I'm not thinking "pre-threaded and chambered, that's just more 'production'. I can look at no factory offereing through 'custom' eyes, I don't understand why anyone would. You'd be compairing apples to oranges.

I own a abolt and xbolt both shoot sub moa. They shoot .5" and .75" respectively. I'm not sure who wouldn't like the feel of them. The xbolt feels a hair better and the abolt shoots a hair better. As all threads you will get mixed reviews both ways, get them both in your hand and pick which feels better for ya. What's a better truck: Ford or Chevy?

I like my M70 and my X-bolt but think the X is a better shooter and like the design better. I really like the short throw bolt on it, and it's the best detachable magazine I own.

in my experience the browning's have a better fit and finish overall. I have not had much luck with them accuracy wise... but as shortgrass says- factory rifles are like lottery tickets.
I do however feel that IF YOUR GOING TO BUILD ON IT, as in re-barrel and blueprint, there is no way I would go with a browning. The M70 is also a stronger action from an engineering standpoint, with the best extraction/feeding in a factory action.

M70 all the way!!!!

I know have your search narrowed to Browning and Winchester, but I'd tell you to take a look at the Tikka T3.

Best of luck

I would second the T3. You never said what caliber you were wanting but the ONLY reason I bought the xbolt over the t3lite was because I wanted a 300 WSM and the Tikka only has a long action for this caliber. Had it been a short action I would have been all over it. I'm happy with my xbolt and can shoot sub 1/2 to 3/4 all day. I don't get to pull the trigger much so that is the reason for the variance, not the rifle.

A buddy of mine just bought an X-bolt 300 Win mag. He intended to swap out the barrel for a Krieger in 300 WSM until we took it to the range. It was scary accurate (under 1 inch at 200 yards) with the first load he threw together which was intentionally a conservative load (slow). Went back with a nominal speed load and it did the same thing. A flyer with this gun is 0.5" away from a stack of touching bullet holes. There is no way he is taking this barrel off. However, the trigger was too stiff for my friend so he has ordered a spring to lighten it up a bit.

A buddy of mine just bought an X-bolt 300 Win mag. He intended to swap out the barrel for a Krieger in 300 WSM until we took it to the range. It was scary accurate (under 1 inch at 200 yards) with the first load he threw together which was intentionally a conservative load (slow). Went back with a nominal speed load and it did the same thing. A flyer with this gun is 0.5" away from a stack of touching bullet holes. There is no way he is taking this barrel off. However, the trigger was too stiff for my friend so he has ordered a spring to lighten it up a bit.

The trigger is a little different on them, mine has very little to no play at all. It's almost as if you're just pulling on the trigger guard.

I would second the T3. You never said what caliber you were wanting but the ONLY reason I bought the xbolt over the t3lite was because I wanted a 300 WSM and the Tikka only has a long action for this caliber. Had it been a short action I would have been all over it. I'm happy with my xbolt and can shoot sub 1/2 to 3/4 all day. I don't get to pull the trigger much so that is the reason for the variance, not the rifle.

Tikka only makes one action size...Long. there are mag spacers and bolt stops in them for short action calibers like the wsm

Tikka only makes one action size...Long. there are mag spacers and bolt stops in them for short action calibers like the wsm

If they made a short action I would have bought it in a heartbeat! The only reason I have a WSM is because I like the short throw of the bolt. Otherwise it would be a 300 RUM, .338, 7mm, etc

That's how my A-Bolt II 7mm RM shot....Until recently when it just decided to give up on shooting. Now it won't group anything under 2"... Pretty sure the barrel's trashed. That's the last time I buy a used rifle from someone I don't know...

However, it gives me a great platform for my .264 WinMag build. :cool:

Oh, and I also put the Rifle Basix 1.25# trigger spring in mine, and tightened up the the creep. Shoots smooth as glass.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.