Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

Which gun is the better out of the box performer with nothing changed?

• Browning X-Bolt

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Winchester M70

Votes: 31 53.4%

• Total voters
Interesting. The rifle I handled at Sportsman's had a long throw to it....maybe I'm dreaming. I need to go back and see if they still have one down there and play with it.

I have 5 A-Bolts and 1 X-Bolt. The only modification was adjusting the trigger down to 2.5 lbs which is done with a screwdriver. Every one shoots better than necessary for hunting.

Xbolt .308 at 500 yards with 168 federal gold metal match plate is 8" across.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 96
I just worked up a 200 gr. Accubond load for my 300 WSM XBolt that shot 1/2" @ 100yrds. The only reason it was 1/2" is because of me though, I have a nice bruise to show for it too. So far I have a 168TTSX load, a 180TTSX load, and the 200AB load that all shoot under 3/4-1/2".

Maybe that IS why you don't see too many aftermarket toys for the Browning....thay don't need it!

I just worked up a 200 gr. Accubond load for my 300 WSM XBolt that shot 1/2" @ 100yrds. The only reason it was 1/2" is because of me though, I have a nice bruise to show for it too. So far I have a 168TTSX load, a 180TTSX load, and the 200AB load that all shoot under 3/4-1/2".

Maybe that IS why you don't see too many aftermarket toys for the Browning....thay don't need it!
You do want them when one falls off the deep-end, like mine has... But all I really need is an HS or B&C Medalist and an aftermarket barrel and I'll be set.

Let me know what barrels you're looking at because I think I'd eventually like to get one myself. I want ti just a bit longer...

Let me know what barrels you're looking at because I think I'd eventually like to get one myself. I want ti just a bit longer...
I have too many 7mmRM's right now...And the fact that I am limited in options by the magnum bolt head, I will most likely be making it a .264 WinMag, since they share brass, magazine length, case head dimensions, and everything else with the 7mmRM. So, I will probably be buying a Rock Creek or Bartlein 6.5mm 1:8 twist barrel in Rem Varmint contour, and finishing it out around 26". And probably putting it all in a B&C Medalist stock. Should be a shooter for sure.

That is the plan, as of now...I'll have to wait till my money gets built back up.

My vote was for the Model 70 and I own several of them. The xbolt im sure is an accurate gun and I have held several that I like but I cant get pass the Japan stamped on the side of them. My buddy has one in 270wsm that ive been wanting to shoot but havent had the chance. Ill always run Model 70s.

Here is another typical thread.. This VS That! Everyone states there success or non success with the products in question. Then of coarse the thread goes sideways ( hijacked) with someone that puts what they are using that is not even in the original question. Is this not the way this really works? Could we really see if we could stay to the engineering side of things like the strength, accuracy, cost, reliability, ease of use etc. Actual things that determine what makes the best what the best is.

Lets face it.. Mauser developed the modern day bolt action of nearly all bolt actions. Other manufactures changed a little to there own thoughts to their liking and marketing ideas.

Browning did more firearms designs than anyone in history. Semi autos, military, foreign country's. and for other manufactures including his major customer. WINCHESTER!

Roy is the father of todays high power magnums and long range true magnums to handle high pressures in a action. Weatherby still has the strongest action on the market today.

Kalishkanov (sp) another well known designer going into the history book is a COMMIE. I could never respect the man that designed the weapons to fight against the beliefs and blood that my country is.

Ruger just used everyone else's designs that the patent ran out on. M77 is a Mauser, Revolvers a mostly Colt, Mini 14 is the military M14. No 1 is another knock off. ETC. Just a cheap copy cat.

Remington , Tikka, all the others, ETC..ETC.. on and on we go.

Here are the facts. no opinions here. any doubters need to check these statements on Google and form there opinions.

Both manufactures in question have experienced the typical mass manufacturing issues with their product. Some outshoot customs and some shoot like a shotgun. Some have warranty and some last forever.

Idaho Elk Hunter did you forget to take youre happy pill this morning?

Just kidding bud, you made some very good valid points. Facts are facts.

Here is another typical thread.. This VS That! Everyone states there success or non success with the products in question. Then of coarse the thread goes sideways ( hijacked) with someone that puts what they are using that is not even in the original question. Is this not the way this really works? Could we really see if we could stay to the engineering side of things like the strength, accuracy, cost, reliability, ease of use etc. Actual things that determine what makes the best what the best is.

Lets face it.. Mauser developed the modern day bolt action of nearly all bolt actions. Other manufactures changed a little to there own thoughts to their liking and marketing ideas.

Browning did more firearms designs than anyone in history. Semi autos, military, foreign country's. and for other manufactures including his major customer. WINCHESTER!

Roy is the father of todays high power magnums and long range true magnums to handle high pressures in a action. Weatherby still has the strongest action on the market today.

Kalishkanov (sp) another well known designer going into the history book is a COMMIE. I could never respect the man that designed the weapons to fight against the beliefs and blood that my country is.

Ruger just used everyone else's designs that the patent ran out on. M77 is a Mauser, Revolvers a mostly Colt, Mini 14 is the military M14. No 1 is another knock off. ETC. Just a cheap copy cat.

Remington , Tikka, all the others, ETC..ETC.. on and on we go.

Here are the facts. no opinions here. any doubters need to check these statements on Google and form there opinions.

Both manufactures in question have experienced the typical mass manufacturing issues with their product. Some outshoot customs and some shoot like a shotgun. Some have warranty and some last forever.
I don't need Google to know that you're almost correct...

However, the Ruger Mini-14 is not an M14. It is designed LIKE an M14, but on a smaller scale.

Idaho Elk Hunter did you forget to take youre happy pill this morning?

Just kidding bud, you made some very good valid points. Facts are facts.

That's awesome... Idaho does state great facts but the problem is the guy wants an opinion to which we all know are like armpits....everyone has at least two and they all generally stink to someone else!!

I love this website.....

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.