Browning X-Bolt or Winchester M70?

Which gun is the better out of the box performer with nothing changed?

• Browning X-Bolt

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • Winchester M70

Votes: 31 53.4%

• Total voters

wilkup

I've got it narrowed down to these two models but can't decide on which. I won't be modifying either of them with anything other than a bedding job and possibly a brake. Which gun is the most accurate out the box performer?
Thanks.

Both of the A-Bolt II's I've had were tack drivers without any modifications. However, the $18 Rifle Basix trigger spring that drops it down to 1.5 lbs is a real nice mod. Not sure if they offer it for the X-Bolt, but if you can find a new leftover A-Bolt II Composite Stalker w/ BOSS on it, you'll enjoy it.

The CRF M-70 actions are the best production action available in my opionion. I own three of them and wouldnt consider anything else, including some of the more expensive custom actions. The addition of the MOA trigger on the newer models only makes them better.

I have one of each, so very limited experience. For my daughters 12th birthday, I bought her an X Bolt micro in .243. I turned the trigger weight down a bit, mounted a leupold 2.5-8, and bought some 100 gr Federal at Walmart to get the brass. Off he bench, that combination was 3/4" (3shots/100 yds) all day, every day. Have not even bothered to build up a load for it.

I have a win 70 coyote light 270 wsm. First gun would not do better than 3-5" with Federal factory ammo; Winchester supreme would not stay on a 8 1/2x11" target. After looking it all over, I found a reamer mark (or gouge) 2/3 around inside of bore, 1/4" from muzzle. Sent it back to Winchester, and after 14 months and multiple phone calls, I received a replacement. New gun shoots good AFTER 9-12 rounds, will not shoot worth a hoot clean. After 20+ rounds, accuracy goes down hill. Roughest factory barrel I own.

One example of each really doesn't mean much, but those are my experiences.

I know have your search narrowed to Browning and Winchester, but I'd tell you to take a look at the Tikka T3.

Best of luck

Go with the Model 70.

I just sold my X-Bolt and replaced with a mid 90's Classic Featherweight and I couldn't be happier. The X-Bolt was a heck of a shooter with a great trigger, but I just didn't like the way it fed or extracted. Half the time I would have to turn the rifle upside down to get the spent casing out of the action.

My $0.02

I have a x bolt 7mm rem mag. It is amazing. Put a vortex viper pst GDP scope on it and it will shoot outside of MOA every shot at 1000 yards. I killed a bull elk this fall with it at 608yrds. One shoot drt. Very good rifle!

Stupid auto correct on the phone. Inside a MOA. With a vortex viper pst ffp scope

it will shoot outside of MOA every shot at 1000 yards. Very good rifle!

I was wondering about that haha
Glad to know they're shooters. I keep reading the X-Bolt is the best fitting, most accurate, out of the box rifle you can buy.

Just to clarify, you're using the 2.5-10x36 Vortex scope or something with a higher magnification?

No its a 4-16x50. But I just put a 4-16 viper HS long range on a 6.5-284 and its a way nice scope too, for about 3 hundred bucks less. I don't think I would go much less than 16 power, its just right for Atleast out to 1000

I have one of each, so very limited experience. For my daughters 12th birthday, I bought her an X Bolt micro in .243. I turned the trigger weight down a bit, mounted a leupold 2.5-8, and bought some 100 gr Federal at Walmart to get the brass. Off he bench, that combination was 3/4" (3shots/100 yds) all day, every day. Have not even bothered to build up a load for it.

I have a win 70 coyote light 270 wsm. First gun would not do better than 3-5" with Federal factory ammo; Winchester supreme would not stay on a 8 1/2x11" target. After looking it all over, I found a reamer mark (or gouge) 2/3 around inside of bore, 1/4" from muzzle. Sent it back to Winchester, and after 14 months and multiple phone calls, I received a replacement. New gun shoots good AFTER 9-12 rounds, will not shoot worth a hoot clean. After 20+ rounds, accuracy goes down hill. Roughest factory barrel I own.

One example of each really doesn't mean much, but those are my experiences.

I know have your search narrowed to Browning and Winchester, but I'd tell you to take a look at the Tikka T3.

Best of luck

Stories like that make me think twice about buying another Model 70 even though it's my favorite rifle. I'm not in the market for any rifles right now but I think in the future I will go with a Cooper or a one-off custom build. I am coming around to the idea of spending the money on the right gun up front instead of trying to make a decent gun great.

I've never heard any bad about Coopers, if you like wood, they seem like a really reliable and accurate hunting rifle. Xbolt review somewhere on this site. I like Abolts though.

Remington 700, will outshoot the Browning and Winchester. Also can be found for great prices.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.