Browning x bolt muzzle break 300 RUM

Browning website shows both types of brakes offered on x-bolt depending on which version. Are the threads different in any way between the two? Not sure if that was answered yet. If it helps in can remove the Hawg brake on my x-bolt pro 300 PRC and measure the threads.

I wasn't sure if the brands that I wanted would make one that would index. I believe that they are their Gen 1 models. I was hoping for a TI brake just don't know or looked yet to see who makes one. Stainless would be cheaper and probably easier to turn down to the diameter of the barrel. I wanted the rifle to be one the lighter side that's why I'm interested in the most recoil reduction I can have. I sold my last Rem 700 RUM 15 years ago and have wanted another one. I do remember the recoil of a 7 1/2 pound rifle with no break on it though, that's why I'm making sure this one is going to have an efficient brake. I know most are thinking should have purchased a 300 PRC but I have a 300 Win Mag and it's close enough for me. I will keep you guys posted after I get a new brake and what the recoil is like before and after.
Thanks,
Jason
From your list, APA (https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/muzzle-brakes) and MBM (https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/beast-2-piece-brakes) make self-indexing brakes. There are plenty of choices to choose from, including tuner muzzle brakes.

From your list, APA (https://www.americanprecisionarms.com/collections/muzzle-brakes) and MBM (https://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/beast-2-piece-brakes) make self-indexing brakes. There are plenty of choices to choose from, including tuner muzzle brakes.

Feenix, the problem is that Browning chose to thread their rifles with abnormally short threads, unless you use a brake that you can grind/cut to index properly or have the barrel cut and rethreaded, you are stuck with using Browning's Recoil Hawg Muzzle Brake. There just isn't enough room for a locking collar to use a self indexing brake.

I couldn't find an aftermarket brake that I felt comfortable with how it installed, so I opted for 2 Recoil Hawg brakes. It works, but it is loud and hideous looking.

*******Edit*******

The MBM may work, the APA says thread length needs to be .625", so I wouldn't be able to use them.

The MBM appears to use both internal and external threads, it appears that the locking collar threads are external on the brake, I have never had a self indexing MBM brake, but later today I will call and verify.

Last edited:
Feenix, the problem is that Browning chose to thread their rifles with abnormally short threads, unless you use a brake that you can grind/cut to index properly or have the barrel cut and rethreaded, you are stuck with using Browning's Recoil Hawg Muzzle Brake. There just isn't enough room for a locking collar to use a self indexing brake.

I couldn't find an aftermarket brake that I felt comfortable with how it installed, so I opted for 2 Recoil Hawg brakes. It works, but it is loud and hideous looking.

*******Edit*******

The MBM may work, the APA says thread length needs to be .625", so I wouldn't be able to use them.

The MBM appears to use both internal and external threads, it appears that the locking collar threads are external on the brake, I have never had a self indexing MBM brake, but later today I will call and verify.
A reputable/competent GS should not have a problem making the muzzle thread longer to accommodate more choices for a muzzle device.

I have a nice radial brake on my Blaser R8 RUM, similar to the Browning, and not only is it quieter than some of the other "more effective" brakes, it does a really nice job on taking the sting out of the recoil. The Browning also has an excellent butt pad, so I'd shoot it some more and see if you really need a bigger, perhaps uglier brake on the end of it. That's just my opinion though, excellent cartridge!

My other 2 brake I have are:
APA GEN 1 micro bastard brake on a 300 win mag and it works great.
The other is a MBM brake on my 280 Ackley and it's like a 243. Both brake's are 3 ports. I have heard many good things about Holland's brakes.
Thanks,
Jason
I have APA Gen 2 micro brakes on my 300 RUM, 300 Win mag and 7mm Rem mag. They work great on all.

Today I was at my local Sportsman's Wharehouse and picked up a new 300 RUM.
I picked up a new Hell's Canyon long range 300 RUM. The muzzle break is threaded for a 5/8"x24 radial break. I'm wondering if I should try the factory break or just buy a better break a gill break? My thoughts were a ti salmon river or a ti MBM. I was thinking a 4-5 slot break for this caliber. Just wanted to see if anyone else has this rifle and if the break was effective before I buy a new break. The rifle is 7.3 pounds and I'm planning on having the rifle weigh 9.5 lbs loaded. I could always just shot it and see, but wanted see if anyone had tried this rifle and how it shots.
Thanks guys,
Jason
Muzzle Brake or taking a rest break...
Yes being pedantic but the correct terminology helps.