Browning x-bolt long range hunting rifle

When selecting a rifle for hunting and especially Elk hunting I would select a proven field gun with high availability of off the shelf ammunition. When traveling long distances to hunting camp no matter the location often times unforeseen difficulties can arise and bite us in the ***. You get to camp and you find that you left the ammo home. You get to camp and on your last hunt you unknowingly knocked your scope off and there was no time to shoot before traveling to this camp. No matter what problem arises you want to make sure that ammunition would be available, no matter where you hunt, even though you may have to travel 100 miles to the closest town. When I am asked this question my answer is always caliber first firearm selection second.

Is it as good as a precision built rifle built by me or many others on this sight? No but let,s be realistic. I certainly am not tough enough to lug a bench rest around to get under a quarter minute in the field. And many shooters cannot afford to buy a high end custom. Why I said about the browning. He was asking about it and I said what I had found. Throw me under the bus if you wish.
Yea I cannot lug bench babies up in the hills, and cannot spend 8500 on a gunwerks, just looking for budget guns, browning seems to be leading the mass production line right now and prices seem fair. I have not looked at savage yet but they are cost friendly as well, also don't want to drop a 8500 gun on the rocks if I can avoid it, but that part of the deal

When selecting a rifle for hunting and especially Elk hunting I would select a proven field gun with high availability of off the shelf ammunition. When traveling long distances to hunting camp no matter the location often times unforeseen difficulties can arise and bite us in the ***. You get to camp and you find that you left the ammo home. You get to camp and on your last hunt you unknowingly knocked your scope off and there was no time to shoot before traveling to this camp. No matter what problem arises you want to make sure that ammunition would be available, no matter where you hunt, even though you may have to travel 100 miles to the closest town. When I am asked this question my answer is always caliber first firearm selection second.
Thanks for the tip what's your caliber of choice for elk?

My browning a bolt 338 mag circa 1993 was an absolute SLAYER, 3years that was THE ONLY rifle I carried, after 19 - 1 shot drt hits on deer elk bear pronghorn in Oregon Washington Idaho Wyoming Montana Nevada from 26 FEET to 750 yards, at 9# loaded with sling and bipod....

It was an extension of my eyes and finger....

Burned 4 barrels out with 225 x bullet at 2950fps....

Wife messed up bills, sold rifle....

Should have divorced the wench.

Hells canyon in 300 prc or 28 nosler i have shot are AWESOME!!!!

BETTER RIFLE

BETTER QUALITY CONYROL

TRIGGER JUST NEEDS DISSASEMBLY, SPRINGS AND POLISHING....

WITH HEAVY HIGH BC BULLET

BETTER FOR ALL BUT BIG BEARS AND BISON....

MY 2 CENTS

I once owned a Browning X Bolt Max long ranger in 6.5 PRC,other than it having a nice slick action. I've never owned a rifle that shot so poorly right out of the box. Long story short I traded it in for a loss and bought a Bergara Premier in same caliber and it surpassed in MOA guarantee right out of the box . Perhaps do a search on my post .Terrible trigger,magazine fit and awful bbl.......... But the headache is others love their X bolts

I have 1 x-bolt and very satisfied with it! It's a Hell's Canyon Long Range in 28 Nosler shoots 195 Bergers at 3050 sub-moa 8 twist so it stabilizes them nicely with a Zeiss V6 3-18 scope comes in under 9lbs. One of my favourite rifles. I have been looking at the max long range in 300 PRC or 300 RUM if you can find one with optics should be in the 10-11 lbs range and very capable of any LR and probably some ELR with the right loads. Just my $0.02

I had a Browning XBolt Hells Canyon Long Range. It wad a very nice rifle. I could nitpick a lil but aside from mine needin a new trigger its a great rifle. Mine even with Mcarbo spring wasnt good enough so I put a Timney on it.
But it would shoot accurate with most anything even if the load was slow it still had potential, maybe not LR potential of course.
But i really like how the stock and bottom metal fit in my hand when Im walkin. Very good ergonomics on that one!

I own exactly one Browning rifle. I picked up a Hell's Canyon LR (lt hand) McMillan in 6.5 Creed. Other than the Timney trigger I installed, its all stock. I have shot many, many sub .5moa groups at 400yds with Berger bullets and RE26. Just this morning I was testing some 140gr Elite Hunters and looking for a good OAL. At .055" off the rifling, 3 consecutive Bergers dropped into 1.05" at 400yds.

I've never given much thought to Browning rifles but this one shoots better than some of my full blown custom rifles. What a pleasure to shoot.

Last edited:
I live in the east hunt deer mostly I have browning long range in 6.5 creed 6.5 PRC 6 mm Creedmoor 300 win mag 7 mm mag and a xbolt Predator in 223 they all shoot sub moa and most will shoot with most of my customs and they won't break the bank buy with confidence my next is going to be 300 PRC do I need it no do I want it oh yel

I have a Browning x bolt long range max in 6.5 PRC. 1/2 moa up to 500 yds. put a McCarbos trigger spring and I use a Leupold LRP 6.5x 20 a little bulky for hunting, VX6HD or VX5 would be a good choice. I have 6.5 creedmoor, 6mm creedmoor, 308 all Brownings, all shoot 1/2 moa or better. I do reload everything. All need trigger springs $12.00 fix

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.