Browning x-bolt long range hunting rifle

00Buck00

Anyone have any experience with new browning x-bolt long range hunting rifle. I have see a lot of advertisements about them online mostly browning promoting their product. What caliber /scope would you order for long range elk hunting ? Any other suggestions on rifles and calibers? I was looking to do a poor mans gun werks but not spend 8500 on the whole deal. Thanks

The 300 PRC would be pretty cool. The Brownings come with an 8 Twist in the 300 PRC. That and some 215 Berger bullets would probably be pretty awesome.
Maybe a NightForce SHV or a Zeiss V6. Neither scope would break the bank.
Redhawk rifles sells Zeiss demo scopes. Pretty good deals:

The 300 PRC would be pretty cool. The Brownings come with an 8 Twist in the 300 PRC. That and some 215 Berger bullets would probably be pretty awesome.
Maybe a NightForce SHV or a Zeiss V6. Neither scope would break the bank.
Redhawk rifles sells Zeiss demo scopes. Pretty good deals:

thanks I will check it out, any info on price to reload the 300 prc?

I also would buy the prc. But no need to spend big dollars for a scope. For 600 or less you can buy a sig tango 4 4 to 16 moa ffp illuminated. At dark here I took a first generation leo vx6 3 to 18x50,the sig and a gpo 2.5 to 15x50 to the bench and looked at a knot on my target stand. The 1800 leo was the worst of the bunch. The sig was clearer and sharper and the gpo was the best but not not more than twice as much better. We all seem to get caught up on if I buy something stupid expensive it will be best. And the browning is not a bad rifle once you learn it. My old buddy had me order him an xbolt 300 win mag and I worked it up with 200 sierra gk and R26. Shooting 2 inches at 400. Minute of elk I think.

No offense, but not buying a browning for a long range rifle. But to each their own!!
Is it as good as a precision built rifle built by me or many others on this sight? No but let,s be realistic. I certainly am not tough enough to lug a bench rest around to get under a quarter minute in the field. And many shooters cannot afford to buy a high end custom. Why I said about the browning. He was asking about it and I said what I had found. Throw me under the bus if you wish.

thanks I will check it out, any info on price to reload the 300 prc?
At Sportman Warehouse a hells canyon in 300 PRC was 1269.99 and 8.2 lbs, I also looked at the Bergara HMR in 300 PRC which was 1099.00 and weighed 9.9 lbs, the Browning was a 1:8 twist, Bergara was 1:9 twist. I was leaning Browning have a BAR, in 300 win mag and an HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Creedmoor shoots better groups than my BAR. But like the twist and weight on the Browning. Both were 26" barrels and had muzzle brakes.

I have 2 X-bolt rifles. One in 28 Nosler and another in 300 Win Mag. Both are sub MOA shooters and topped with a Vortex PST Gen II scope in 5X25X50. In the .308 caliber 300 PRC cartridge is a good option, but less availability of ammo than the 300WM.

I have used browning Xbolts for years now. I have had Stalker Long Range model in 6.5 Creed and currently own a Hells Canyon Max Long Range in 6.5 Creed. Shoots my reloads H4350 (41.5 grains), CCI Primers, Hornady Brass and 143 ELDX sub moa at 400 yards. I have killed deer (250 yards), Mule Deer (540 yards), Elk (750 yards), antelope (400 and 450 yards) along with multiple wild pigs from 200 to 300 yards. Gun is very accurate. The triggers could be better.

If I was mainly Elk hunting then 300 PRC would be my choice as well. On my elk I was just the back up shooter but the first guy missed so I took a shot. Had been practicing out to 800 so was confident in my shooting. Conditions were perfect as well.

I love my browning x-bolts- both are the Hells Canyon long range version. My only wish is that the stock fore end was more stiff. The stock flexes when I use the gun mounted bipod. Bullet selection I'll leave up to you. I feel that should be personal choice and research from actual data, (not someone's opinion on a forum)
Cheers!!

I had one in 300 win mag with a Swarovski z6 with turret. Had it dialed into 600 yards and it was flawless. I say had because I bought it from a friend who was broke and needed money. He eventually got on his feet and bought it back. Wish he wasn't a friend or I would've never let it go. 300 win mag or 300 PRC would be my choice if I bought one new today

I have a Browning Long Range in 6.5 PRC. Not the hunting version though. But it shoots extremely well. I did change out the trigger as I thought it sucked. But I guess I'm a trigger snob. I am happy with the purchase and I'm not a browning fan generally.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts