BROWNING X-BOLT LONG RANGE 300 RUM 1/8 TWIST

Pull the barreled action out of the stock an look at the bedding. If it looks okay reassemble and see if the trigger guard is binding. Go slow. I did this on my HCS and filed the screw holes to remove some bedding and also a little work around the trigger guard.

Pull the barreled action out of the stock an look at the bedding. If it looks okay reassemble and see if the trigger guard is binding. Go slow. I did this on my HCS and filed the screw holes to remove some bedding and also a little work around the trigger guard.
is it clean? what's your regiment for break in. some get there quick, some take 50 shots, they're all different!

Are you cleaning your barrel between running all these different bullets? I always start clean when switching bullets. Also if you didn't break the barrel in it's probably going to calm down and some and start grouping. Clean the barrel and start fresh. When you switch bullets clean and start fresh also.

Good luck with it. Seen a bunch of them and what you are seeing is what you get unless you stumble onto mythical perfect load that it happens to like.
Bed it
Make sure things torqued properly
Check the crown for a nick
Load development (hope you get lucky)

I would look at a problem other than ammo. Even if the twist is too fast you should have found something that shoots close to 1". It sounds more like the stock rubbing the barrel or loose mounting system

I had the same issue with my 338 rum bdl, I ended up having to sand the barrel channel on my stock. Try running a dollar bill between the stock and barrel, and see if you might have contact. Like you, I had 2-3" groups at 100 yards, after some sanding same factory ammo was right at 1" groups.

My family is from Morgan, Utah. (Home of Browning) and for decades we have grown up shooting Browning firearms and have been fiercely loyal. (I used to belong to the Browning Collectors Association). I have to say that the X-bolt is the biggest failure Browning has ever made! In the past 2 years I personally have owned and SOLD 3 different X-Bolt Long Range rifles. Why? Because they will not group! The last rifle I actually took to Browning and challenged them to get it to group and they couldn't. My family members have now sold 5 different X-bolt Long Range Rifles (from basic to Hell's Canyon models) and I currently have 2 more Browning X-bolt 300 WM Longe Range Rifle set ups up for sale (been for sale for 2 months and have not had a single inquiry). We all reload and have invested countless dollars in reloading supplies (various powders and bullets) to no avail. Look at Browning's website under discontinued X-bolt models. The list is LONG! Why do they keep tinkering with it? We already know that they had a recall on their rotary magazines because they won't feed. Browning knows they have quality issues with that gun!
I also own a Remington Sendero 300 WM and a Cooper M52 300 WM. I can shoot small clover leafs all day long with the same ammo that would not pattern in a Browning. No one can convince me it is simply the powder or the bullet.

Sell that rifle and save yourself countless severe headaches!

Last edited:
Have you checked the mounts and swapped scopes to rule them out? I'd also give it a really thorough cleaning.

Those Brownings are throated really long, most guys end up single loading to reach lands and find accuracy.

I had the same problem with a .300 win mag browning long range 8 twist. Shot factory and hand loads from 180-212 grain with best group at 2". we bore scoped it and found the rifling leads were inconsistent, sent it back to browning and they immediately lapped it. They sent it back with 50yd test targets. Best groups were with 200 ELDX at .423". I hand loaded 200 grain ELDx with H4831 and shot several 3 shot groups less than .7".
We did allot to this gun to correct problems including installing WARNE max steel base and rings.
Hope this helps

It's not a Rum but it's a new Xbolt Western Hunter in 300prc. This is my first attempt with making it shoot. Can't find factory loads so making my own. Testing 200gr and 220gr eld-x next.

Attachments

• 20211103_143401.jpg
    20211103_143401.jpg
    1,000.7 KB · Views: 53