BROWNING X-BOLT LONG RANGE 300 RUM 1/8 TWIST

Hey whats up guys !!

I got gifted by my girlfriend a Browning Xbolt Long range chambered in 300 rum, I mounted it with a vx6 4x24x52 leupold scope. Im having a hard time getting a good group, tried the sirocco 180gr, the eldx 220gr, the corelokt 180gr and neither shoots well, these are all factory amunition, getting groups 2 to 3 inch at 100 yards and 4 to 6 inch at 200yards.

Its after that I realised that the twist rate is 1/8 !!! im not a pro but did some research on the net and saw that an 1/8 twist in a 300 rum i should go 230gr and beyond.

My last rum was a 1/10 twist remington, so never had to deal with this...

Being from Montreal, Canada bullets supply are hard to find so i think im going to have to reload my own bullets which is something new for me or sell the gun and get my girl ****ed at me for a couple of weeks :)

I know there is the new A-Tip bullets 250gr from hornady, should i go with it ? but is it good for hunting too ?

Did any of you had experience with 300 rum Xbolt long range ? or do you guys have any tips ?

Thanks !!
It'll shoot Burgers and Sierras just fine. It'll also stabilize the 180 grain Sierras, Noslers and Speers. You will have to reload for it to find a good combination of bullet weight/accuracy. You might call or email Browning for information on good load data on this rifle, because they'll want to protect their reputation and will want to be sure of your satisfaction with this rifle.

Hey whats up guys !!

I got gifted by my girlfriend a Browning Xbolt Long range chambered in 300 rum, I mounted it with a vx6 4x24x52 leupold scope. Im having a hard time getting a good group, tried the sirocco 180gr, the eldx 220gr, the corelokt 180gr and neither shoots well, these are all factory amunition, getting groups 2 to 3 inch at 100 yards and 4 to 6 inch at 200yards.

Its after that I realised that the twist rate is 1/8 !!! im not a pro but did some research on the net and saw that an 1/8 twist in a 300 rum i should go 230gr and beyond.

My last rum was a 1/10 twist remington, so never had to deal with this...

Being from Montreal, Canada bullets supply are hard to find so i think im going to have to reload my own bullets which is something new for me or sell the gun and get my girl ****ed at me for a couple of weeks :)

I know there is the new A-Tip bullets 250gr from hornady, should i go with it ? but is it good for hunting too ?

Did any of you had experience with 300 rum Xbolt long range ? or do you guys have any tips ?

Thanks !!
Call or email Browning. They have a reputation to uphold. They'll have load data and bullet weights that will work best in their rifle, and they will be very interested in making sure the rifle is accurate and you are satisfied. They will have tested the 1 in 8" twist barrels for stabilization and accuracy at various points in their production and if you can't get the rifle to shoot, they might even replace it. Their ballisticians will be able to answer your questions from source for the firearm. They will probably tell you what loads and bullets are best with this rifle. With this type of rifle/cartridge, reloading is the only way to get top accuracy, plus it is at least half the cost of ammunition. But Browning is your best and most important source for the info you need on what's the most accurate bullet and weight for this rifle.

My family is from Morgan, Utah. (Home of Browning) and for decades we have grown up shooting Browning firearms and have been fiercely loyal. (I used to belong to the Browning Collectors Association). I have to say that the X-bolt is the biggest failure Browning has ever made! In the past 2 years I personally have owned and SOLD 3 different X-Bolt Long Range rifles. Why? Because they will not group! The last rifle I actually took to Browning and challenged them to get it to group and they couldn't. My family members have now sold 5 different X-bolt Long Range Rifles (from basic to Hell's Canyon models) and I currently have 2 more Browning X-bolt 300 WM Longe Range Rifle set ups up for sale (been for sale for 2 months and have not had a single inquiry). We all reload and have invested countless dollars in reloading supplies (various powders and bullets) to no avail. Look at Browning's website under discontinued X-bolt models. The list is LONG! Why do they keep tinkering with it? We already know that they had a recall on their rotary magazines because they won't feed. Browning knows they have quality issues with that gun!
I also own a Remington Sendero 300 WM and a Cooper M52 300 WM. I can shoot small clover leafs all day long with the same ammo that would not pattern in a Browning. No one can convince me it is simply the powder or the bullet.

Sell that rifle and save yourself countless severe headaches!
Discontinued rifles are not discontinued because they are broken, They are discontinued because they are no longer relevant or they need to free up production for other better selling calibers and models. My 300 WM X-bolt shoots 0.1 MOA with box ammo and my 6.5 Shoots 0.5 MOA with box ammo. I've also shot countless others with similar results. Now for the posters case id say something is wrong with that rifle cause it shouldn't be shooting anywhere near that bad. Remount the scope and see if it fixes it, seen that many times.

Winchester long range expedition amo has accubond pills try the 210 grain. I re load the 210grain they are brilliant if seated well. Im using 69.6 2213sc and seated coal at 91.8mm approx each round. You may need a little more powder ir less in a 26" barrel in the rum im in a 300wm speed is about 2800fps. Bloody accurate as .4moa for me.

You must have issues other than the ammo you're using. I would make sure that all of the scope mounting screws are torqued to the correct ft.lb.wt. and the rings are lapped so that they make full contact with the scope. You need to check the stock to make sure that it doesn't come in contact with the barrel and the stock screws are also torqued to their proper ft.lb..You might want to have the stock bedded. I wouldn't shoot any bullet under 200gr. and would lean towards the highest BC possible, if shooting it long range is your intention. The twist rate of your rifle favors the heavier projectiles. Additionally, make sure that your muzzle brake is tight as well. Good luck and welcome to reloading my friend!

I have exactly the same rifle it's a shooter! I'm using 220 eld-x and V N565 and it loves it! Good case fill and .040 off the lands still fits the magazine too! Great SD too! It's my favourite long range rifle!
you are getting good groups ? i tried the 220 eldx but in the factory ammo and my gun dosent like it

Hopefully it's not the case with yours, but I had a Browning just like yours only in .300 WM. It was the worst shooting gun I've ever owned. I spent over $600 on components trying to get ANYTHING to shoot, Nope. Ended up having to send it off for a new barrel. Good luck!!
how much did the new barrel cost you ?

so I emailed browning and got an answer pretty quick, thats what they said:

''Good Afternoon,
The 1/8 twist is going to prefer the Heavier weight bullets, We have heard good things about the 210 Nosler Accubond long-range, the Berger 215 VLD hunting and the 212 Hornady ELDX.
Best regards''

I found a guy that is willing to try some loads for me. I will share all your info with him !! thans guys and will let you know

hopefully i find a good load or the problem :(

Pull the barreled action out of the stock an look at the bedding. If it looks okay reassemble and see if the trigger guard is binding. Go slow. I did this on my HCS and filed the screw holes to remove some bedding and also a little work around the trigger guard.
I'm going to agree with this guy and the others who say check the bedding. I worked with a x bolt hells canyon LR in 30 nosler the last 2 years, first worked up a load with 210 ablr for 2020 season. Struggled to get it to group very well. Ran out of those bullets and started with the 190 ablr this year still not great and inconsistent. I loaded a few with some 178 eldx and some 200 grand slam I had on hand. After taking rifle apart I felt it was binding and difficult to remove from stock, screws would not rotate freely either. Bedding was minimal, barrel was free floated and centered. I suggested to the owner that I could rebed it and he said ok. So I cut some 3/8 stainless tuning to act as pillars and glued them in with JB weld, hogged out a lot of the bedding material and rebedded with acraglass gel that I had(use what you prefer). The stock front action screw only engaged a couple threads from the start so also got a longer Rem 700 screw for it. Shooting the test loads I made before the bedding job and they were all grouping nicely, less than an inch. Then started with the 190 ablr again and ended with rem 9.5m primers and h4831, 5 shots into a fat hole at 100yds. Verified with more rounds loaded same using fired cases and new cases and they both shot same place.

Last edited:
I'm going to agree with this guy and the others who say check the bedding. I worked with a x bolt hells canyon LR in 30 nosler the last 2 years, first worked up a load with 210 ablr for 2020 season. Struggled to get it to group very well. Ran out of those bullets and started with the 190 ablr this year still not great and inconsistent. I loaded a few with some 178 eldx and some 200 grand slam I had on hand. After taking rifle apart I felt it was binding and difficult to remove from stock, screws would rotate freely either. Bedding was minimal, barrel was free floated and centered. I suggested to the owner that I could rebed it and he said ok. So I cut some 3/8 stainless tuning to act as pillars and glued them in with JB weld, hogged out a lot of the bedding material and rebedded with acraglass gel that I had(use what you prefer). The stock front action screw only engaged a couple threads from the start so also got a longer Rem 700 screw for it. Shooting the test loads I made before the bedding job and they were all gripping nicely, less than an inch. Then started with the 190 ablr again and ended with rem 9.5m primers and h4831, 5 shots into a fat hole at 100yds. Verified with more rounds loaded same using fired cases and new cases and they shoot same.
Sound advice BUT of course do decide first if you a) plan to send it to Browning for them to fix the problem if there is one or b) sell it right away as you alluded too. If you don't plan to sell or return for company repair, proceed however you see fit. If you do plan to do either DO NOT IN ANY WAY MODIFY THE RIFLE!!!! Or Browning can attribute any flaws to your DIY gunsmithing. Or a would-be buyer could be a little nervous about buying a "modified at home" rifle. I know I would be if I were buying from anyone I didn't know personally.

so I emailed browning and got an answer pretty quick, thats what they said:

''Good Afternoon,
The 1/8 twist is going to prefer the Heavier weight bullets, We have heard good things about the 210 Nosler Accubond long-range, the Berger 215 VLD hunting and the 212 Hornady ELDX.
Prefer is probably not the correct term, more like "allows you to shoot" the heavier bullets accurately.

And as @Calvin45 says, if you plan to pursue the issue with Browning, don't do anything I said. I'm just offering an experience that had favorable results.

Call or email Browning. They have a reputation to uphold. They'll have load data and bullet weights that will work best in their rifle, and they will be very interested in making sure the rifle is accurate and you are satisfied. They will have tested the 1 in 8" twist barrels for stabilization and accuracy at various points in their production and if you can't get the rifle to shoot, they might even replace it. Their ballisticians will be able to answer your questions from source for the firearm. They will probably tell you what loads and bullets are best with this rifle. With this type of rifle/cartridge, reloading is the only way to get top accuracy, plus it is at least half the cost of ammunition. But Browning is your best and most important source for the info you need on what's the most accurate bullet and weight for this rifle.
I don't believe Browning or any other manufacturer of firearms will provide reloading data to consumers. They may say or suggest to use any good commercial ammo or use premium ammunition. Too much liability otherwise.