Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon

Kmccord

Does anyone out there have one of these Rifles? I have a grandson who graduates in a couple of years and was looking at giving him a rifle for graduation present. I saw these on Cabela's and was thinking of one for him in either 6.5 Creedmor or 7mm Rem Mag., any info on a Browning rifle would be greatly appreciated, I never owned a Browning.

Me & my hunting buddy both bought the Hell Canyon chambered in 300 Win Mag last December. The magazine is absolute junk. It would feed factory ammo OK but when we tried reloads, they would not feed. The shoulder caught the corner of a piece of plastic. He fixed his with a dremel. I refused to use a dremel on a $1,200.00 rifle & just sold mine. I think they have a very nice rifle but I can't handle feeding issues. We hunt where there are a lot of Grizzly bears & I want everything working in my favor should I have to argue with Mr. Bear!
Thanks, Kirk

I've got a HC LR in 6.5 Creedmore. Overall I like the rifle but was disappointed in the factory Browning brake, not that it's actually needed on the Creed. The brake was nothing more than a thin walled tube with holes in it. The exit hole was way oversized. I assume that they put the same brake on every rifle regardless of bore diameter.

The rifle came with a McMillan gamescout stock which handles well. I have two magazines, both feed normally without any issues. They are long enough to accommodate bullets seated out quite a ways.

Last edited:
I own three. I purchased my first X-bolt the first year they came out. Never a hiccup with any of them. All are accurate and dependable. Wife has one too. She may be getting rid of hers since she is recoil shy and "thinks" the 7mm08 kicks a lot more than her .243. :)

My elder son purchased one for his elder son recently. Just now getting around to scoping it so can't give you much feed back. He bought the Hells Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creedmore. My opinion would be to purchase the Long Range. You get a lot more for the extra $30 especially on the 6.5. Step up on contour, 4" more barrel which the 6.5 will appreciate one day. His A-bolt 1 Stalker in .270 w/ the BOSS on it is a tack hammer(when you adjust the BOSS). Hopefully he won't see a feeding problem.

Father has a 300 win x bolt long range stalker. Together we have more than a few BARs. I have shot the bolt much more than him. For the 300 I found the factory brake to work quite well. The rifle is extremely manageable, in the order of about a 1/4 of my 300 model 70.

The bolt is extremely slick, I have never had a feeding issue but have only shot factory through it so far. The trigger is good for a factory rifle but not incredible. I am considering having it upgraded to the new Timney.

The duratouch stock is a little sticky, irk how I feel about it. McMillan makes a game scout stock for the x bolts. I think he bought the rifle for about 700$. I think that, a game scout, and a Timney would make a fantastic rifle.

I've had very good luck with Browning. I've loaded for 2 x-bolts and a A-bolt. The x-bolts are 7mm rem mag and the A-bolt a 280. I own one of the 7mms which is an eclipse hunter. All 3 are very good shooters. .5-.75 moa is the norm. Mine is pretty consistent .5-.6. I just took it out to 1000 yards the other day with a 3-9 scope and it shot pretty well. Definitely minute of deer

Yeah, all mine feed very smoothly too. Probably one of the smoother feeding actions I have owned. I actually have another X-bolt being delivered to my FFL tomorrow (for me)! Under 3/4" groups seems pretty common with these rifles. I feed all my rifles handloads with no issues.
For those that prefer a lighter trigger, just get the trigger spring kit from Mcarbo for 12 bucks. Fifteen minutes and 12 bucks will take the good trigger to a really, really nice trigger.

Last edited:
Does anyone out there have one of these Rifles? I have a grandson who graduates in a couple of years and was looking at giving him a rifle for graduation present. I saw these on Cabela's and was thinking of one for him in either 6.5 Creedmor or 7mm Rem Mag., any info on a Browning rifle would be greatly appreciated, I never owned a Browning.
Browning builds a good rifle. I've had 2 A-Bolt II rifles in 7mm RemMag...The first got stolen in 2008, so I replaced it with another identical one around 2012. For hunting anything antelope/deer or larger, I strongly recommend the 7mm RemMag.

The particular model you are interested in getting him only comes with a 1:9.5" twist barrel, which will not allow you to shoot much more than a 168 grain bullet.

HOWEVER...

The X-Bolt Pro Long Range in 7mm RemMag is offered in a 1:8 twist barrel, allowing you to shoot the entire range of 7mm bullets available, up to 195 grain Bergers. This would be the route I would go. Also, MSRP is only about $130 more than the other rifle you were looking at.

http://www.browning.com/products/fi...current-production/x-bolt-pro-long-range.html

also have one in 28 Nosler, but in the Western Hunter scheme. handles well, shoots great, slick bolt, got mine used for under $700

I recently purchased a hells canyon long range(not McMillan) in a 26 nosler. I really like it a lot. The muzzle brake may not be much but I had a regular xbolt 26 nosler and the recoil was double what the hells canyon is. I think the longe range is the way to go with the heavier contour barrel and not much weight difference. I will likely try to buy 2 or 3 more in different calibers

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.