Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed vs. Sauer 100 Atacama, in 6.5 PRC

Elkaholic Hunter

Previously Ian Wargo
Looking at purchasing a new 6.5 PRC, after a bit of research, my top contenders are a Browning Hells X-Bold Hells Canyon Speed and a Sauer 100 Atacama. Both rifles are around that 1k price point and all the reviews that I have seen show that both rifles should have no problem shooting sub-inch and really should expect to see closer to .5". The Browing is probably my top choice, but it is built off of a shorter action than the Sauer. At the store, I checked the magazine length with a 147 eldm and there was about a 1/16" to spare. Biggest question is, am I painting myself into a corner if I reload with a shorter action? Also, Browning says it has a 1:7 twist vs 1:8 in the Sauer, does a 6.5 PRC need to be any faster than 1:8? Sauer comes with a 5 shot sub-inch guarantee, Browning does not, but everything I have read that should not be an issue.

Here are the specific rifles I am looking at:

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...fle-65-prc/p/1528870#smw_turnto_reviews_title

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...d-cerakote-bolt-action-rifle-65-prc/p/1532055

If there is another solid option at this price point that I am overlooking I would be interested in looking at it, but I am not interested in spending 2K or more. Also, this rifle will be used primarily for mountain hunting.

Yes, I am aware of the spring. I have been told the hole that the spring used to come out of such as in the video is no longer there on newer Brownings. I would do some more research before you bought a rifle with the plan to get a better trigger for $15. No skin in the game for me. Just a heads up.

If you ever decide to SELL the rifle in the future (what? who does THAT?!) then the Browning would be the easier sell. People are just not that familiar with the Sauer 100 rifles. Doesn't mean they aren't fine guns. But people tend to gravitate to, and buy, what they know and they know Browning. Win to Browning on this point.

For me personally, I like the two position tang safety of the Browning better than the 3 position to-the-right-side safety of the Sauer. Again, win goes to Browning.

The Browning action can still be opened while 'on-safe' by pushing in the 'button' at the root of the bolt handle. The Sauer is similiar in that the 'middle' position allows the action to be opened while the gun is on safe. So a TIE there.

They both LOCK the bolt down when in the 'full safe' position. That's a major plus in a hunting rifle. So, again, a TIE.

I like the LACK of a muzzle brake better on the Sauer as it is still threaded, should I want to put a suppressor on it later. Win to Sauer here. (Muzzle-brakes are loud and obnoxious and undesirable TO ME in a HUNTING rifle.)

I like the 1" for FIVE shot guarantee of the Sauer far better than the 'no guarantee' of the Browning. Win to Sauer. (There are threads on here of people who didn't feel their Browning was shooting up to standards and they contacted Browning and the answer was something to the effect that a THREE shot group of 1.5" or less was "good" in their opinion. Uh...no.)

I think it's a tough choice. I like different features of each rifle. Figure out which FEATURES are most important to you and go that route. MUST be accurate? The Sauer accuracy guarantee weighs more heavily. You WANT a muzzle-brake? The Browning already has one on it. And on it goes. Flip a coin. Whichever rifle you are hoping will 'win' (before you look at the coin) is the one to buy.

1) Don't X-Bolts come with a thread protector?
2) X -Bolt triggers are the same as the older models. They still have the hole for the spring exchange. Somebody had a hard time doing the basic procedure and went online claiming the hole was smaller on HIS gun because he struggled with it.
It takes a little coaxing, that's all.

Thanks for the info guys. Something I didn't realize before is that Browning has metric thread pattern, ugh, that kinda sucks because I was wanting to twist a suppressor onto it. Makes me lean back towards the Sauer in spite of a lot of features that I prefer on the Browning. If anyone has any firsthand experience with accuracy of either of these rifles I'd be interested to hear that.

I have two X-bolts that are accurate. Sub 1/2" groups as a norm. Had two others that shot very well also... just too pretty to hunt with. Wife had one for a couple weeks that we really never worked up a load for... she felt it was too much cartridge for her, so sold it.
Never shot a Sauer.

Sauer barrels are very good! Although I don't own a Sauer 100 I do own three Sauer 202 rifles in .223, 22-250 and 25-06. Each one of them will shoot sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100m. Sauer, Blaser and Mauser barrels are all made in the same factory.

I had trouble deciding on rifles also, went with the Browning hells canyon in a 28 nosler. couldn't be happier shouting out to 1300 yards and able to keep it on the steel. has a brake, and my 11 year old daughter shot a deer this year. i also got a deer and two elk with this rifle. either way you would probably be happy. I can say I love my browning