Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range Rifle - Using 1 turn in 7" for 6.5 Creedmoor

HaroldNRAEndowment

I see that the Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range in the 6.5mm Creedmoor has a 1 Turn in 7 inches. 1 Turn in 8 inches is what most of the other manufacturers are using. I understand what they are doing, being to make sure the heavier bullets are more stable with the faster twist of 1 turn in 7".
The big question is, will 1 turn in 7 inches be too fast a twist for the lighter bullet around 120 grains. Referring to bullet blow-up.

You will be able to take advantage of Hammer Hunters in the 124gr and up, you would never have to worry about bullets blowing up with Mono's, plus you can not get the Creed fast enough just like adam32+p mentioned.

No, it won't make the 120s explode. We're talking a 12-14% difference, it's not much. Push a 30gn pill out of a 1-7 twist 223 at 4000fps, now that's a 100% increase from the intended 1-14 twist.

Browning also has a reputation for barrel twists being slow, both for caliber and less than advertised. So it's a good move on their part.

There seems to be some misconception for terms for some people. I think that maybe some people associate the higher number with a fast twist and a lower number with a slow twist. The correct terminology is a 1 Turn in 7" is a faster twist( creates a higher RPM at a fixed velocity) than a 1 Turn in 8"(a slower RPM at the same velocity). Lower the number the faster the twist ( and higher RPM at the same velocity). 1 Turn is 1 Revolution. I think the misconception comes from knowing about threads on fasteners. Once you get to 0 turns in so many inches that is a straight spline, but then when one crosses over in the other direction an let us say 16 threads per inch and compare that to a higher number of 18 threads per inch, then the 18 threads per inch is a faster twist than 16 threads Being 16 Turns(16 revolutions) in 1 inch.
Best Regards

There seems to be some misconception for terms for some people. I think that maybe some people associate the higher number with a fast twist and a lower number with a slow twist. The correct terminology is a 1 Turn in 7" is a faster twist( creates a higher RPM at a fixed velocity) than a 1 Turn in 8"(a slower RPM at the same velocity). Lower the number the faster the twist ( and higher RPM at the same velocity). 1 Turn is 1 Revolution. I think the misconception comes from knowing about threads on fasteners. Once you get to 0 turns in so many inches that is a straight spline, but then when one crosses over in the other direction an let us say 16 threads per inch and compare that to a higher number of 18 threads per inch, then the 18 threads per inch is a faster twist than 16 threads Being 16 Turns(16 revolutions) in 1 inch.
Best Regards

I don't see anyone in this thread having a "misconception" about twist rates.

He probably means me, but if so he didn't read it right. Browning has a reputation of using slow for caliber twists, like 10 twists in 243 or 12 twists in 223 and 308. If you run a rod down an older 300 WM/WSM A-Bolt there's also a chance it's really a 12 twist barrel instead of the faster 10 twist barrel they advertised.

is this true, Bass Pro just bought out Sportsmans Warehouse? hope its just a rumor....
Aaron Paul What GIF by Breaking Bad