Browning x bolt Hells Canyon 27 nosler.

Gary Schmidt

Retired Marine, started reloading 15 years ago and I've seen all kinds of guns and different calibers but I've been reading on the two new rifles 27 Nosler and 6.8 Western. I've done as much research as posted and I'm really set on 27 Nosler but can't find rifle or ammo on any site and I've tried 20 gun shops. I would love to find Hells Canyon x bolt 27 Nosler and mate it with Burris Eliminator 4 scope shooting 165 gr bullets.

Hey Gary, welcome to LR Hunting. Not far from you, live near Beulaville. I haven't seen any rifles or ammo for either cartridge since they "came out". I go to many gun shops in Eastern N.C. looking for reloading components but always check the rifle rack's for something new.
I have a .270 Allen Magnum (.300 RUM parent case) and have been on the lookout for those 165gn AB's. Sierra is also putting out a 175gn Tipped Game King in .27 caliber. I may try both of those this upcoming deer season if I can get them in time.
Currently loading the 170gn Berger in it over 93gns of US-869, getting 3300+fps. Very flat shooting stick.

The 6.8 Western has peaked my interest also. I have always loved the .270WSM but had longed for a faster twist barrel. The 6.8W would make a great bean field rig and with that fast twist barrel & heavy BC bullets would hold it's own out to a mile.

Lot's of exciting changes in the .270 world. Finally!

For reloading, check out the Badlands 140 Bulldozer. With it's bc, it will outrun the 165 ablr as well as the 170 EOL. That is what we switched from.

For reloading, check out the Badlands 140 Bulldozer. With it's bc, it will outrun the 165 ablr as well as the 170 EOL. That is what we switched from.
Yeah, planning to try the BD-2's in mine once its built. What velocity were you able to get with the BD-2's vs the 170 EOL's and in what chambering? Seems Badlands pressure up a little faster than cup & core's in similar weights?

Yeah, planning to try the BD-2's in mine once its built. What velocity were you able to get with the BD-2's vs the 170 EOL's and in what chambering? Seems Badlands pressure up a little faster than cup & core's in similar weights?
Haven't loaded up for the one gun that used the Bergers yet, but the other one we have. In a .270 Sherman with a 19" barrel, with initial load developement, we will likely run them between 3100 and 3200 fps. In the other .270 Sherman with a 24.5" barrel, we were running the 170's at 2940. They do seem to pressure up earlier, but in most guns I haven't lost much velocity with them compared to standard bullets, I just use less powder, which actually makes it to where you can use a slower burning powder to get good case fill. Even if you do loose some velocity, the bc makes up a lot, they are .333 G7 vs the 170 EOL at .343, so they would be about even if you were about 50-75 fps faster, which you will be more than that. So flatter, less wind drift, similar energy, and less recoil. Bullet performance with the standard bulldozers have been pretty good for me, this year will be the test for the SBDII's.

Anyway, sorry to side track the thread. The 27 nosler is an interesting case to me as well, quite a hot rod for sure

Thanks codyadams. That is encouraging data. I'm also looking forward to big-game testing the BD-2's in my 7-AM this fall. Hoping to also have my 27 Nosler up and running by then.

I found you some ammo at Graf & Sons and at Natchez, both are 150gr AB but the price for 20 rounds is $90+.

Reloading would be the way to go except for the shortages in supplies. I could not find any new 27 Nosler brass, perhaps you could find some used on a forum.

My contact at Peterson says they are developing 27 Nosler brass but likely not out this year yet. Bertram also says it's in the works. I just bought some factory ammo to shoot for cases in case brass not available in time for this fall's hunting season. Don't need much for hunting.

Nosler and Shooters Pro Shop on occasion sells 27 brass, 165 LRAB and 150 AB. Technical support may share production schedule for month. Items usually bought up in 4 or 5 days. About the same timing Midway also seems to get their hands on 27 components.

midsouth shooters supply has the 175 game changers I was interested in the 27 Nosler but u cant get brass for it and I'm not paying 90 dollars a box to shoot it. I ended up with a custom 270 win with a shaw barrel and longer throat, it should be close to the 6.8 western within a 150 fps

midsouth shooters supply has the 175 game changers I was interested in the 27 Nosler but u cant get brass for it and I'm not paying 90 dollars a box to shoot it. I ended up with a custom 270 win with a shaw barrel and longer throat, it should be close to the 6.8 western within a 150 fps
Bet youre gonna love the 270win u built, i have a 27" barrel on a custom and its throwing 170 bergers at 2880-2900 fps RL26 in peterson brass into much less than MOA to 530 yrds ( furthest I have to shoot/hunt) not the most accurate gun I have but it works!
My build is build is mcgowan 1-8 barrel, stiller predator, hs precision stock w/ triggertech special, nightforce SHV F,

I got lucky on mine a guy on gunbroker built it and he had shoulder surgery and never got to shoot it. I paid 950 for it the pictures didn't do it justice when I got it it looked like 2000 dollars all day long to me. He put the magnum long detachable mag on it, and it's cerecoated in fde. Its built on a rem 700 action so it should be a good one.

I got lucky on mine a guy on gunbroker built it and he had shoulder surgery and never got to shoot it. I paid 950 for it the pictures didn't do it justice when I got it it looked like 2000 dollars all day long to me. He put the magnum long detachable mag on it, and it's cerecoated in fde. Its built on a rem 700 action so it should be a good one.
yes mine also has the 3.85" i think hs precision bottom metal. my oal is +3.5ish.... i dont recall exact