Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker: Your Thoughts?

I have one brand new in the box if you are interested pm me
I have a Hells Canyon edition, love it . I've owned three 7mm over the years,a Win. Model 70 , an A bolt Stainless Stalker, really like the caliber. I've hunted the 7mm caliber for 50 years, no complaints.

The following was a response to a question as to wether Med rings would be sufficient to mount a 50 mm scope onto a 20 MOA rail.

It's hard to say for sure but my guess would be that you can. I have a 50mm Vortex Viper scope on my savage rifle with a heavy sporter barrel and low rings. I had to dremmel the end of the rail down a little bit to get the scope close enough to my eye at full magnification though. A rail will add a little elevation and with the Medium ring mount should it get you there. Scopes are made shorter these days with a long bell and a long eyepiece which don't leave a lot space to mount to. It's often the end of the rail that can limit how close to your eye you can mount the scope at least for me it's been that way. I've had to dremmel down the ends of 2 rails to clear the bell end of the scope. I could have avoided doing that with taller rings but I like to mount a scope as low as possible.

Attachments

• Viper-rail mod to savageLRH.jpg
    Viper-rail mod to savageLRH.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 256
Last edited:
Glad to hear. Wonder if medium rings will work with a 20 moa rail or if lower is an option?
DNZ makes a 20 moa one piece mount in tactical model for sure but possibly game reaper also. If you look up model number on their website and then order it on Amazon you can return it if it doesn't work out. I know lots of people really drown the 9.5 twist rate but there are upsides to it if you shoot around 160 grain bullets or lighter. They shoot flatter to 500 yards for hunting and stills retain the same energy. The wear on barrel is reduced. The rotational pull right is less at longer shots. To summarize, unless you are married to shooting bullets above the 160s (which there is a ton of options for) then the 9.5 twist is not limiting at all. The advantage of 175 and higher is at 700 yard target shooting or beyond and what I consider unethical hunting distances for myself which is beyond 500 yards. Good luck to ya

I have a Bushnell LTRSi (30mm tube and 44mm objective) mounted in low rings on a 20 MOA base on my Long Range Stalker and have at least 1/2" clearance. Medium rings should be no problem, Personally, I'd try lows.

DNZ makes a 20 moa one piece mount in tactical model for sure but possibly game reaper also. If you look up model number on their website and then order it on Amazon you can return it if it doesn't work out. I know lots of people really drown the 9.5 twist rate but there are upsides to it if you shoot around 160 grain bullets or lighter. They shoot flatter to 500 yards for hunting and stills retain the same energy. The wear on barrel is reduced. The rotational pull right is less at longer shots. To summarize, unless you are married to shooting bullets above the 160s (which there is a ton of options for) then the 9.5 twist is not limiting at all. The advantage of 175 and higher is at 700 yard target shooting or beyond and what I consider unethical hunting distances for myself which is beyond 500 yards. Good luck to ya

Thank you. Are you saying 168s aren't limited by the 9.5"?

Thank you. Are you saying 168s aren't limited by the 9.5"?
I can confidently say that 160s and 162s will stay stable out to 1000 yards without a problem. I've shot some 175s and they were still stable at 500 yards but that doesn't mean the groups wouldn't open up at 600 yards or at 500 in a different rifle or different load workup . Many experts that are far smarter than me have done the math and testing and don't recommend 175s or higher for 9.5 twist. There's not really a absolute reason for that high of grain bullet unless you are going truly long range. The 160 Accubond and Partition have performed wonderfully for me at 500 and are my hunting bullets. The 162 eld has been very very accurate at 500 but I won't hunt with them. I'm no expert at 1000 yard shooting. I'm definitely not saying 9.5 twist 160s are as good at 1000 yards as 8 twist 175s. I'm just saying you can get great deals on the long range xbolt stalker and their accuracy potential is the same at 500 yards. If target shooting at 1000 yards is the most important factor then don't get a 9.5 twist but if hunting out to 500 is the primary purpose then the 9.5 stalker is optimal for money spent and equal for accuracy. Sorry for going on and on. Take care

I am curious about the whole "dura-touch" debacle with the x bolt. In the past, every x-bolt (an BAR for that matter) with that finish felt overly sticky and ive even seen used ones that looked and felt like gorilla glue was spilled on them.

Seeing as though i cant find one on the shelf anywhere these days, i thought id ask yall. Did they correct this- specifically on the standard "compsite stalker" stock?

I bought mine 2 years ago and it still came with the duratouch finish-- its not sticky yet. I heard that browning will replace the sticky stocks under warranty though.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.