Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker: Your Thoughts?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

Looking at purchasing a Browning X-Bolt Composite Stalker in 7mm rem mag. Any experiences? Likes/dislikes? How accurate? Without rebarraling are 500-600 yard shots doable?
Thanks!

All XBolts I have owned have been serious shooters. My two .280s both shot sub 1/2" groups with the first handloads I tried out of them... and the first of any ammo shot out of them.

Never seen an X-bolt that wouldn't shoot. As long as you've handled one and it fits you well, I say go for it.

Dislikes... The fact they haven't upgraded this line with all modern twist barrels, as they have with some of their other lines. Even lower-priced rifles still deserve a chance to be LR shooters. Plus, the cost would be the exact same as the old twist barrels, and their sales would increase exponentially.

Have a long range stalker in 300 win mag, great rifle. No issues at all with 500-600 yards it will do that with factory federal premium and a partition.

All XBolts I have owned have been serious shooters. My two .280s both shot sub 1/2" groups with the first handloads I tried out of them... and the first of any ammo shot out of them.

Awesome. How is the cheek weld? I have a 50mm objective, would I most likely need a cheek riser?

Awesome. How is the cheek weld? I have a 50mm objective, would I most likely need a cheek riser?

Hard to tell you without knowing your face and preferences but in general I need something for most non adjustable stocks to be perfect so.... probably? I have just chin/jaw welded that rifle so far though.

Sorry just realized that wasn't quoting me, I'll leave it since it's still applicable.. my bad!

Hard to tell you without knowing your face and preferences but in general I need something for most non adjustable stocks to be perfect so.... probably? I have just chin/jaw welded that rifle so far though.

Sorry just realized that wasn't quoting me, I'll leave it since it's still applicable.. my bad!

Nope, directed towards everyone! Thank you! What do you use to raise your cheek weld? I really don't want to do the adjustable piece you need to drill the stock for..

If you can find a 2018 X-bolt Stalker Long Range (production ended 2018), for the same price you will have a 1:8 twist.

Otherwise, I might look at some of the other long range models in current production. Most have a 1:8 twist for the 7 Rem Mag.

Depends on if shooting some of the longer range bullets or monolithics (copper) is of interest to you. If not, the standard twist is fine.

If you can find a 2018 X-bolt Stalker Long Range (production ended 2018), for the same price you will have a 1:8 twist.

Otherwise, I might look at some of the other long range models in current production. Most have a 1:8 twist for the 7 Rem Mag.

Depends on if shooting some of the longer range bullets or monolithics (copper) is of interest to you. If not, the standard twist is fine.

Yes, I think for my immediate intended purposes the 9.5" will work fine. If I want to down the road rebarreling will be my option it seems!

Funny thing on the limited shot show 2018 lr stalker in 7rm it was originally advertised as fast twist 1:8, I tried to buy one and could only find it in 9.5 twist--- I saw this post earlier today and looked online to see if anyone had the 2018 lr stalker available and --- low and behold!!!! The browning website now says that the discontinued 2018 lr stalker had a 1:9.5 twist, not the fast 1:8 that it was originally advertised as--- I'm not sure they ever actually produced a 2018 lr stalker with the 1:8 twist, I think the hell's canyon lr was selling so well they used all the 8twist 7mag barrels on the hell's canyon rifles as their sell price was higher (just my opinion I have nothing to back this up other than my actual experiance in trying to buy a lr stalker with the 8 twist 7rm barrel and not being able to locate one anywhere ) ended up with the lr stalker 7rm with the 9.5twist for 550 due to wrong advertising on twist rate

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.