Browning x-bolt 6.5 creedmoor, help

Get yourself some Boretech eliminator, one of their proof positive jags or a Tipton ultra jag for 6.5mm, and some 100% cotton patches for 6.5mm. BoreTech eliminator is all I regularly use in my rifle barrels. Add a good bore guide and a coated cleaning rod and you're in business. Also I suggest checking that your action screws are tight and swap the scope to something you know is working.

Is it the same lot number of ammo? Might be the same brand, but if all the lot numbers are not the same, it may not shoot with the batch of components they used.

Copper fouling. Make sure to clean with a copper removing product and white patch until no blue residue.

I agree with scope. Had the same thing happen on my sons rifle with a Leupold. Tried a different scope and all was good. Sent it in, turned out to be the erector.

Good luck,
Steve
I had same problem with scope worked find then all of a sudden couldnt get on the target, 2 scopes that and vortex viper i changed it to a Bushnell forge and bang back on target..on my browning 28 nosler x bolt max long range..

My son is a SEAL Sniper, once he zeroed it, ran a hundred plus rounds through the 7.62 I bought for him, his reply surprised me. "Dad, I do not run anything through the barrel to clean it, once it is broke in," he said, after I offered to clean it for him. Interesting!

Hello wesg93,

I'd bet on copper fouling. You don't mention doing a proper brake in of the barrel which would have implied several copper fouling removals. You should start by the simplest which is a proper cleaning and then, if that doesn't solve the problem, go on to the more "expensive" variables such as changing the scope.

Keep us posted.

JC

Last edited:
I agree with Imartin, get good cleaning products,(bore tech, wipe out, Montana extreme) AND the patch tips, jags he suggested. I remember cleaning forever, because the patch tip was giving me false copper signs....and if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, buy a Teslong bore scope (Amazon). They run from $50.00 to $80.00, flexible and rigid......but be forewarned, once you look down your barrel, sleep will never come easy again....seriously, you won't believe the insight a bore scope gives you.....also, have you checked for a carbon ring? Might look at the crown for damage....good luck, been there....you will find the answer.....rsbhunter. As an afterthought, you are cleaning from the breech end using a bore guide?

I have a browning x-bolt hells canyon 6.5 creedmoor with 26" barrel with a Leupold vx-6hd 3-18x44. Bought last November, shot excellent out of the box had it shooting sub moa in just a few shots. Between December-March shot approximately 200 rounds, shooting pop cans at 500 and 600 yards consistently, very pleased. Fast forward a few weeks end of March to April and now I can't get it to group at 200 yards anymore. I haven't changed anthing, I've been shooting factory hornady eld match 140. Could the warmer temperatures be affecting it that much. I've checked scope mounts everything is tight. I'm lost and pretty frustrated. Any ideas or thoughts? I included a picture from my previous 200 yard group
copper,use wipeout to clean it out.

wesg93 said:
"I cleaned it after every outing pretty extensively. Bristle brush for 6.5, soft brush, then clean white patch until the patch came out without any black residue"

Get the copper out of the barrel. I too have a Browning (A Bolt composite 26 in. fluted barrel in 7mag) and it was rusty when I got it and it took a while to get the crap out of the barrel. Did you clean it when you got it? What ever you do first get a good copper cleaner I use Wipe out Patch out foam and liquid. soak it first for a couple of hours. scrub it with a good "Stiff" nylon brush and start pushing patched through it. If it start to look clean soak it again and repeat. When it starts to get really clean about the 4th patch should come out clean. Then go shoot it at 100 yds. and see what you've got. Good luck and do not spare the elbow grease!

Try some bore foam first let soak for 20 to 30 minutes fill it all the way to the chamber, then patch it out until dry, then get a bore mop soaked with butches bore shine or Barnes copper remover, let sit for 10-15 minutes, then use some cleaner behind it to finish cleaning it. Run enough patches through until clean with no or very little blue left and you will be good.

I have a browning x-bolt hells canyon 6.5 creedmoor with 26" barrel with a Leupold vx-6hd 3-18x44. Bought last November, shot excellent out of the box had it shooting sub moa in just a few shots. Between December-March shot approximately 200 rounds, shooting pop cans at 500 and 600 yards consistently, very pleased. Fast forward a few weeks end of March to April and now I can't get it to group at 200 yards anymore. I haven't changed anthing, I've been shooting factory hornady eld match 140. Could the warmer temperatures be affecting it that much. I've checked scope mounts everything is tight. I'm lost and pretty frustrated. Any ideas or thoughts? I included a picture from my previous 200 yard group
Clean the copper out of the barrel. A friend had a 7mmr x bolt that did the same thing. He did an extremely copper cleaning and it shoots like a dream again

Most of the Browning rifles I have bore scoped look very good. However, I have seen a few bores that are rough and collected copper. The best bench rest barrels seldom collect much copper. The worst field barrels can be used to start a copper mine.

I have learned to love Bore Tech Cleaning Products. I use their one piece rods and their proof positive jags as well as their solvents. All of their products can be left in the barrel and they will do no harm. THIS IS A HUGE PLUS!!! Their copper solvent works better than the ammonia solvents.

Keep in mind that all that shooting will have deposited a lot of copper. At this point, It might take you days to get it all out!

Start by removing all the carbon with a carbon solvent and after that is done, use a good copper solvent till the copper is all gone.

I cannot and will not EVER recommend a penetrating oil to clean any rifle or shotgun bore.

Never use a cleaning rod without a good fitting bore guide. More bores have been ruined by cleaning rods than by shooting! The best guides I know of are one piece "o"-ring guides by Sinclair Int'l.

Not to be insulting, but if you used penetrating oil as a gun solvent, I'd be willing to bet that you didn't use a torque wrench to install your bases and rings. And don't forget that the front screws on the front base of an X-Bolt are a different length than the others.

Hope you get it all worked out. I love my two XBolts. That are both 1/2" hunting rifles.