Browning x-bolt 6.5 creedmoor, help

I'm a fan of t he old Tv program CSI, Crime Scene Investigation. The early ones with Grissom. He had a procedure in his investigations. Yeah ,that's Television, not real. But the way I see it what we are doing here is a remote investigation of Wesg93's Browning X-Bolt. Procedure could start anywhere. Top to bottom, bottom to top, in the middle. Random. Cleaning that barrel with a proper solvent will need to be done regardless. So, start there. It's reasonably cheap in view of the cost of replacing components. Then, while in the process of letting the defouling take effect other items can be checked: the crown, all screws, scope bases and rings, barreled action's relationship to the stock, the stock inletting, broken components, anything that comes to mind. Gathering information about the problem will lead to a solution.
One of my reactions would be to hold a mirror to the scope objective end, and then turning the elevation and windage adjustments, (with the scope on lowest power, and mirror against the objective, there should be two reticle sets visible when looking through the ocular/eyepiece. One set stationary, the other moves when adjusted). Maybe give it a couple bumps with the heel of my hand to see if any unwanted movement occurs. Kind of a layman's preliminary scope check. (Leupold used to have the mirror thing on their web site. Knowing about it, I probably couldn't sleep till I did it).

Last edited:
Never heard of that for checking a scope. How do you see in there if you have a mirror covering the lens. Why do you see 2 cross hairs and why is one stationary?
Shep

I agree with all. #1. Really clean the bore, and #2 check the guard screws for over tightening , and,#3 Check the barrel channel and make sure there are no High Spots. I think Leupold has a really Good Customer Service Dept. , so I would consider giving them a call, and ask a technician if you can send the scope back for a check up. It cannot hurt . Good Luck buddy

I have the same gun and "had" a VX6HD on mine that I bought brand new. The gun shot incredible right out of the gate for me. After only 1 box of factory Hornady ammo the groups were opening up big time. After cleaning the barrel real good I noticed a couple of black specs on the inside of the scope on the ocular lense. I sent it in to Leupold and when they sent it back I was told that the Erector System was shot and had to replaced along with cleaning the inside of the lenses. I've since put a Nikon X1000 on the gun and now it is back to shooting bugholes.....

I'm very disappointed to hear the "vx6" reviews. Wow is all I can say. For this price point I'd expect this to be a superb high quality optic in all areas. I've read people bagging big time on this one thread. Very disappointed to hear.

Last edited:
Did you contact Leupold because I have had no problem with the ones I have?
Yeah....4 times. I was not upset about a scope dud but their service dept was completely ****** and lied several times all while trying to speak to us in a condescending tone over and over. Leupold of past is no longer. Their top of line vx6 is junk. I heard they were even going to discontinue them. Not sure. All I know is that due to their service department I will never buy from them again, and thats with a 45 percent reduction in msrp. Better options are out there. I almost drove next door to Oregon to discuss it myself and ask for proof in person.

Yeah....4 times. I was not upset about a scope dud but their service dept was completely ****** and lied several times all while trying to speak to us in a condescending tone over and over. Leupold of past is no longer. Their top of line vx6 is junk. I heard they were even going to discontinue them. Not sure. All I know is that due to their service department I will never buy from them again, and thats with a 45 percent reduction in msrp. Better options are out there. I almost drove next door to Oregon to discuss it myself and ask for proof in person.

Okay I'll bite. So personally I own 4 VX 6 HD and two VX5 HD. My department now issues the VX6 on our PSS rifles. I went through our sniper school with a 3-18 vx6 HD along with 5 others and we put those rifles through hell. I've beaten and abused my personal scopes on multiple occasions hunting and they still run like a champ. In my circle of friends I shoot with locally you can add in another 15 Vx5/vx6 and there have been zero issues. The odds that you get 4 that are supposedly broken are astronomical. They handle unbraked and braked 300rums and 338 norma. They take falls from a horse. They took a fall off the 5th rung of a ladder where I later killed a 142" white tail. So the premise that all the Vx5 and vx6 are junk doesn't hold an ounce of water

Libtard that is just how I feel too. I just don't get what some guys do to their scopes to have them break so much. I do know there are Leupold bashers on this sight that probably don't even own one. I see it at the range all the time the guys with 4500 scopes that look at your 2000 dollar Leupold like is a Barska. 100s of my customers have leupolds and I don't see any issues coming from them. Just mounted up 2 VX6s and thought they looked and operated great. Love the locking turrets and the revolution indicator. Nice glass too.
Shep

Okay I'll bite. So personally I own 4 VX 6 HD and two VX5 HD. My department now issues the VX6 on our PSS rifles. I went through our sniper school with a 3-18 vx6 HD along with 5 others and we put those rifles through hell. I've beaten and abused my personal scopes on multiple occasions hunting and they still run like a champ. In my circle of friends I shoot with locally you can add in another 15 Vx5/vx6 and there have been zero issues. The odds that you get 4 that are supposedly broken are astronomical. They handle unbraked and braked 300rums and 338 norma. They take falls from a horse. They took a fall off the 5th rung of a ladder where I later killed a 142" white tail. So the premise that all the Vx5 and vx6 are junk doesn't hold an ounce of water

I didnt say VX 5, I said VX 6. I personally have used Leupold scopes on many personal hunting rifles, many Long range shooters, and 4 war deployments to the most abused areas of the planet on bigger guns than 338. If you want to brief your resume Ill bite too. I can tell you the history of mine, the service I received and that it went back 4 times, not 4 scopes. Also I said I wasnt turned off by their scopes, I had one previously in a MK 4 bad from factory. They fixed and I still shoot it. The new one they treated us like ****, refused to fix it, after they said it was perfect I sold here to a guy in a different state, different custom gun, same thing. He returned with same complaints and wouldn't you know..... replaced erector..... just like i said when it went in time 1. For some reason its a VX6 issue. But their customer service and folks there are dog****. Thats why I wont buy anymore even with my discount. I hope this guy puts a 99 scope on his browning and its shoots perfect.

in 30 plus years I have sent two leupolds back only one for repairs the other to change reticle and that is owning probably25 plus scopes from vx1 to mark 6

in 30 plus years I have sent two leupolds back only one for repairs the other to change reticle and that is owning probably25 plus scopes from vx1 to mark 6
Oddly enough my 2 were both brand new. From them. My mk 4 they fixed erector right away and its been my favorite leupold. This new one was bought to replace it on a rifle and did exact same thing. Thats why I complained over and over and they said its fine. 4 shooters, 3 custom guns, all pet loads, took it off ****ed off and put mk4 back on. Shooting bugholes in 7 rounds. That isnt us, our guns, our loads, scope shims, or stressing the scope with 30 MOA of adjustment. If they would have not been condescending d bags I wouldn't be complaining and I would be running them on all my guns. My rifle was a factory ammo .23 shooting Hill Country Rifle. The boss Matt was the one who told me to send it in because the rifle is mechanical. He also said there is a reason they dont offer them on his custom guns and it was because of a quality dip. All facts. The other rifle of mine is a brand new Cooper rifle. I like a lot of their products and if they would have just fixed it I still would. But.... it took 4 trips there before it happened.

I didnt say VX 5, I said VX 6. I personally have used Leupold scopes on many personal hunting rifles, many Long range shooters, and 4 war deployments to the most abused areas of the planet on bigger guns than 338. If you want to brief your resume Ill bite too. I can tell you the history of mine, the service I received and that it went back 4 times, not 4 scopes. Also I said I wasnt turned off by their scopes, I had one previously in a MK 4 bad from factory. They fixed and I still shoot it. The new one they treated us like ****, refused to fix it, after they said it was perfect I sold here to a guy in a different state, different custom gun, same thing. He returned with same complaints and wouldn't you know..... replaced erector..... just like i said when it went in time 1. For some reason its a VX6 issue. But their customer service and folks there are dog****. Thats why I wont buy anymore even with my discount. I hope this guy puts a 99 scope on his browning and its shoots perfect.
Little to no difference in a vx5 and a vx6. Just keep on keeping on. When one actually breaks and I see it I'll believe it. I too have had Leupolds in stuff a lot bigger than this 338 and they ran just fine on those guns just like they do on everything else I've put them on. And dare I say I've mounted a hell of a lot of VX6 and the nearly structurally identical VX5

Recent Posts