Browning x bolt 280 Ackley Improved bullet?

I have shot and killed deer with 120gr 130gr 139 gr 140gr and 150gr out of my 280 rem. This yring was shot with my 280 rem. I loaded a berger 140gr vld hunting bullet. That hole is the exit hole. I think it was 80 yds. Thats why i was looking to try a different bullet.
Can other Berger users of the hunting vld say is this a normal conclusion for theses bullets? Maybe I need to also reconsider. I have always used bt and ab bullets. I now have several bullets in the Berger.

Can other Berger users of the hunting vld say is this a normal conclusion for theses bullets? Maybe I need to also reconsider. I have always used bt and ab bullets. I now have several bullets in the Berger.
I've shot a few WT with the 140 VLD from my 7-08 and with behind the shoulder shots and one on the shoulder and I never got a exit. Lots of jello inside and drop on the spot. The shoulder shot made a big mess so I would avoid it.The 7-08 is probably a couple hundred fps slower than the OP's 280 and mine were shot farther than 80 yards and larger than yearlings.

Last edited:
I have shot and killed deer with 120gr 130gr 139 gr 140gr and 150gr out of my 280 rem. This yring was shot with my 280 rem. I loaded a berger 140gr vld hunting bullet. That hole is the exit hole. I think it was 80 yds. Thats why i was looking to try a different
Exact reason I mentioned meat preservation being a factor in bullet selection.

I have shot and killed deer with 120gr 130gr 139 gr 140gr and 150gr out of my 280 rem. This yring was shot with my 280 rem. I loaded a berger 140gr vld hunting bullet. That hole is the exit hole. I think it was 80 yds. Thats why i was looking to try a different bullet.
A good many bullets do this kind of damage, especially when impact velocity is above 2600 FPS. I switched to solid copper about 15 years ago and have not lost an animal on a broadside shot and the wound channels have been about 4 to 8 inches from start to finish. A little jello, but nothing like some cup and core bullets produce.

I like berger bullets. As long as u keep it out of the shoulder. I done a shoulder shot on a big doe at 200 yds. Not as big exit hole but no tracking. I shot it with with my 280 rem. Insides was like jello. The 168gr vld out of my 7mm mag does damage. My wife shot a nice 11 point. Her first buck last yr. It moved about time she shoot. Shot was low down hill 160 yds. The 140gr vld hit the leg went in the top part of brisket. Bullet blew up took the leg off. And it killed the deer.