Browning vs Tikka for 300WM factory hunting rifle

I wouldn't wish a tikka 300wm on anybody! The combination of light gun, crappy stock and big cartridge is a recipe for some nasty recoil!
Did you have negative experience with one?
Was hoping the factory brake on both would help mitigate recoil some. Could replace the brake too but starts to defeat the "factory" idea.

The browning weighs nearly the same amount, I wonder if the stock issue exists.

My father in law shoots a 300wsm sako finnlight. Superior fit and finish no doubt, no brake but still kicks like a mule.

Did you have negative experience with one?
Was hoping the factory brake on both would help mitigate recoil some. Could replace the brake too but starts to defeat the "factory" idea.

The browning weighs nearly the same amount, I wonder if the stock issue exists.

My father in law shoots a 300wsm sako finnlight. Superior fit and finish no doubt, no brake but still kicks like a mule.
Yep. I had one. I took the barrel off and it became a 7saum. I could shoot about 10 shots before the recoil got me. It would leave my shoulder black and blue for a week. Lol.

Thanks for the tip, I have a Savage Long Range Hunter in 7mm Mag that isn't any worse than the 30-06 Remmy 700's we grew up with but it's 26" heavy barrel and a few pounds heavier than these. But I wouldn't want to tote it around all day

Luckily both options come with threaded barrels. We're blessed with many quality brake options. The limbsaver recoil pad for the Tikka's is an amazing upgrade as well.

The D18 barrel profile is heavier than the average Tikka Lite model's many of us are used to in a Tikka T3/T3x Lite (D18 is a barrel profile). It adds a little weight and has 5/8-24 barrel threads.

Last edited:
I do have a Tikka with a bull barrel .308, which is really not a problem for recoil. Actually my tactical 20" BB is .223 Wilde, so there's absolutely nothing there!