Browning vs Tikka for 300WM factory hunting rifle

2 the Plug

Which would you buy and why?

Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready Bolt-Action Rifle - 300 Winchester Magnum

Tikka T3x Lite D-18 Rifle with TrueTimber Strata Stock - .300 Winchester Magnum

Looking for a lightweight magnum that shoots well enough from the factory with factory ammo (likely Hornady, HSM or Norma) that I can mount an optic, sight in and go hunt anywhere in the lower 48. These two have caught my eye and seem to fit the bill. Looking for durable, accurate, with muzzle brake, and easy enough to tote around with a sling. Both of these can ship to my local BP or Cabelas for $1200+tax.

Thoughts?

I don't think you can go wrong with either honestly, they are both great factory rifles. I own a couple Tikkas and have shot a few of the Hell's Canyon Speed rifles. I wouldn't foresee accuracy being a problem with either based on my experience, and nearly any modern rifle at that price point will be plenty durable.

I think if I were doing what you described, buying a nice rifle and having no real desire to mess with modifying it, then I would go for the Browning. I buy Tikkas because I'm a tinkerer, but if I was a "set it and forget it" kinda guy, I do think I would give the Browning the nod. They are very nice rifles straight out of the box.

BUT if you ever do get the DIY itch, the Tikkas sure are easy to turn into semi customs at the house:
1634671098464.jpeg

Good luck either way!

Wow that's a Tikka? Looks awesome! What all have you done? New stock and barrel?
I have always messed with Remmy 700's, recently started on savages and Ruger Americans but haven't done much beyond adding brakes, stock conversions or bedding, ADL to BDL conversions, surface rust removal and cold blue. Simple parts replacements on shotguns and 22's. Haven't needed to replace a rifle barrel yet, though I have a older 700 that may be a candidate.
With this I was thinking plug and play type rifle. I'll still add the optic sight in with break in process and go. After it's setup and I use a few times in the field then will likely sell to my brother or friend in pursuit of my next magnum. Maybe the forever magnum.

Which would you buy and why?

Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed Suppressor Ready Bolt-Action Rifle - 300 Winchester Magnum

Tikka T3x Lite D-18 Rifle with TrueTimber Strata Stock - .300 Winchester Magnum

Looking for a lightweight magnum that shoots well enough from the factory with factory ammo (likely Hornady, HSM or Norma) that I can mount an optic, sight in and go hunt anywhere in the lower 48. These two have caught my eye and seem to fit the bill. Looking for durable, accurate, with muzzle brake, and easy enough to tote around with a sling. Both of these can ship to my local BP or Cabelas for $1200+tax.

Thoughts?
I had an xbolt 300wm, Tikka t3 270 wsm & just got through doing load development for a 25-06 t3x for a friend. Tikka 300wm was previously 11 twist if memory serves me correct. My xbolt was advertised as being 10 twist but measured 11 twist. 180 gr shot the best in the Browning. Shot around 1/2 to 5/8 moa. That was handloads & 180 Accubond nosler ammo. It was a 1.5 moa rifle with any other factory ammo out of trying 8 different kinds. I would say you probably have equal chances at either one being or not being a tack driver but I would probably go with the Tikka just because it will be an easier rebarrel if you need to.

Last edited:
Browning X bolt Have 2 they shoot lights out with Factory ELD X Ammo. Last season rolled 2 Bucks 1 at 312 another at 418 incredible balance fit finish.
And just flat out shoot!!!

I love the ELDX out of my 6.5cm Kimber, which is why factory everything has me intrigued more than usual. Hoping to drop a Missouri whitetail with that instead of my tried and true .308 this year.

Browning X bolt Have 2 they shoot lights out with Factory ELD X Ammo. Last season rolled 2 Bucks 1 at 312 another at 418 incredible balance fit finish.
Agree 100% I have a Hells Canyon 6.5 PRC w/ 7 twist. Stuck a Night Force SHV 5x20 scope on it. I had some Hornady Precision Hunter 143 ELDX to break in and zero scope. It shot .410 group @100 yds within 5 shots. Havent got back to it again but might not reload for a bit on this one. I have an EC Tuner Break Im going to try next time

I have both and lean towards the xbolt as it fits me better than the tikka, also the rubber stock coating is good in wet/cold conditions with the xbolt. The 60 degree bolt lift is amazing when having to cycle to another round quickly and having large hands my thumb doesn't hit the side of the scope when cycling in a rush.
Both are accurate guns but this is more on how does it fit you and what type of hunting are you doing.
Both are easy to load for but the browning usually has the longer barrel, for a little more zip.

I had an xbolt 300wm, Tikka t3 270 wsm & just got through doing load development for a 25-06 t3x for a friend. Tikka 300wm was previously 11 twist if memory serves me correct. My xbolt was advertised as being 10 twist but measured 11 twist. 180 gr shot the best in the Browning. Shot around 1/2 to 5/8 moa. That was handloads & 180 Accubond nosler ammo. It was a 1.5 moa rifle with any other factory ammo out of trying 8 different kinds. I would say you probably have equal chances at either one being or not being a tack driver but I would probably go with the Tikka just because it will be an easier rebarrel if you need to.
I'm not overly learned, bought Browning until 1970. Recent acquisitions have been Sako and Tikka... Colt, Sig. REALLY like all those. Browning O/U, Beretta. All factory stuff though, except for L/R

Sorry, don't have that safe at deer camp and the mind just won't do it, but, we have a lot of bears, and as soon as that comes in in NC, the Sako WM or the Weatherby 300 will join me for sure. However, the twist on either would be factory spec.