Browning Hell Canyon Long Range 7mm Rem 1:9.5 vs 1:8 twist.

Deerhntr71

I bought a Browning 7mm Rem long range last fall with 1:9.5 twist barrel. I now see browning is now making them with 1:8 twist. I haven't shot mine yet as I haven't decided what scope to put on it, and busy fishing. Was wondering if it would pay to trade it for one with the 1:8 twist?

I would get the 1:8 if you can. It expands your bullet options exponentially, and will allow you to shoot the LR bullets like the Berger 195 Elite Hunters. Might even call Browning and see if they'll swap you for an identical rifle with a 1:8, or put a new 1:8 barrel on yours...

what do you plan on shooting in it?? Up to a 150 grain pill it really makes no difference, but if you want to toss 175-195 grain bullets you ought to get the faster twist.

What altitude are you shooting and hunting at? If you're up high the 9.5 should be fine up to 180's. If you're down low definitely the 8" would be beneficial. In my mind, a saami chambered 7RM is at its best with 168-180 grain pills.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts