Browning BAR shorttrac

I have one on the way! I got it for my daughter.
It doesn't have a boss.
I hope to work with it in a couple of weeks. I'm going to feed it 95gr ballistic tips first and see how that goes.

I purchase a short trac in 270 wsm for my wife when they first hit the streets. Here is my take .. I had kevin Wyatt do the trigger Because it was awfull. he tuned it right up... But I spent two years working up a handload for it, it was
brutal on brass lots of dents and dings ultimately I sold it.. It would not work with handloads, weird thing is, it shot factory ammo Federal blue box and Winchester at 1'' at 100 all day..
I then bought her an X-Bolt in 270 wsm and it shoots awsome!!!!gun)

lvs2hunt,
Two years is a lot of load development.
What was the problem with the handloads?
What should I expect or look for with this rifle?
I had some high hopes,

Last edited:
The auto loaders are really set up for specific pressure or Velocity curves.. its how they are tuned from the factory.
if you shoot factory ammo you are golden IMO.
Yeh I was a little obsesed with the two years of handloads:). in truth I got 90 grain sierras to shoot 3/8 groups at 100 but thats the only hand load I got to work..
what happened to our brass was on the ejection the brass would come back and then fly forward and strike the reciever right where the bolt would sit in an in battery state.. it tore up the gun and beat the crap out of the brass necks and rims ... But strange enough the factory ammo cycled great. I was warned by Kevin Wyatt that autos are really picky.. If I was willing to stick with factory ammo it was fine..
Now my experiance is with only one rifle so in all fairness yours may be different.
The old style BARS are great I was really bummed out, but I got enough for the rifle to pay for the X-Bolt, I do not regret that decision at all...:rolleyes:

I purchased a 270wsm shorttrac Browning automatic rifle 3yrs ago the black & gray model I reload n found 60grs of reloaded 22 shooting Hornaday 150GR SST have cycled very well it's TRUE what others say about after shooting my BAR it's hard to get brass to fit rifle again not all will about 60% of brass I shot will fit for reloading but I love my rifle n wouldn't trade it for nothing I'd rather buy new brass n reload then pay 50-60$ for a box of shells anyday

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.