Browning BAR re-barrel?

RBrowning

I am considering a BAR for my wife. I would like to get one in 25-06 but she needs a LH rifle and it doesn't come in that caliber. How hard would it be to change out the barrel of a 270 Win for one in 25-06? I'm guessing that it would have to be a custom made piece and the price would probably be pretty steep. I may just have to stick with the 270 and have her start out with 130gr bullets until she gets more acclimated to recoil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input,

Rick

I am considering a BAR for my wife. I would like to get one in 25-06 but she needs a LH rifle and it doesn't come in that caliber. How hard would it be to change out the barrel of a 270 Win for one in 25-06? I'm guessing that it would have to be a custom made piece and the price would probably be pretty steep. I may just have to stick with the 270 and have her start out with 130gr bullets until she gets more acclimated to recoil.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your input,

Rick

Rick

If your BAR shoots well I would stay with it .

I always loved the BARs but some of them just would'nt shoot.

So I would recomend the 130s and a reduced load.

I found that the 130gr bullets worked best on deer and 150gr bullets worked
for ELK.

I'm not sure but I think that remingtion loads what they call " managed recoil"
ammo and it is in 3 levels of energy.

J E CUSTOM

The BAR's have a lot of steel in them and are gas operated. Felt recoil from a .270 Win with factory loaded 130 gr bullets will be unexpectedly mild. If you load down too much, the rifle may not function well. It should shoot 1-2 moa with ammo it likes.

The 130 gr bullet is just about optimal for the .270, but it should do well with 150 gr also, and recoil will still be moderate in the BAR.

Very fine rifles with acceptable accuracy at normal ranges.

Good hunting, Tom

I've asked this question before on this website and others. It seems like not many gunsmiths want to touch them. I own two BAR's. A 300. win mag that I bought back in high school, and a .338 that was bought much more recently. Both guns are solid 1.5 MOA guns with good reloads. The .300 has had probally in excess of 2k rounds through it. It was a .5 moa when it was new. The only option that I have found to rebarrel a bar, is to send it back to browning.

Like said earliar...BAR recoil is very mild. They have the BOSS addition that brings recoil down even more. My wife (5'5",120lbs) has shot several deer with my .300 BAR with the boss. Recoil is around a .243 in a standard rifle.

I own BARs.

I put large Limbsaver recoil pads on them and did not trim the pads, but left them oversized.

The 300 WM shooting 168 gr at 3200 fps.
The 338 WM shooting 250 gr at 2600 fps.

There is absolutely no pain from the recoil.
I could shoot them all day.

But the Kickeez recoil pad, it brings the pain.

Thank you all for the replies. It looks like the way to go would be to start with the 270 Win with 130 grain loads. The Limbsaver sounds like a good idea too. If the recoil is an issue I will have to reconsider a break or a new barrel, but we can decide that later.

Thanks again for the input.

Rick

My experience is the same regarding recoil....the BAR really soaks it up. Certainly not needed in the 270. I have 1500+ rounds down the tube and recently found the best load ever. 130gr @2990fps, .25 -.5 MOA 4shot groups.

I'm concerned about the ability to have it rebarreled though, and if the next barrel will shoot as well as this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.