Browning Abolt /PacNor re-barrel

Snowrun

Need a little advice, I am looking to re-barrel a 300 win mag Browning Abolt and would like to go to a 338RUM but running into trouble finding someone to do the bolt face. As is the case on other LRH forum threads, Browning is not willing to sell a bolt head that would fit. Any suggestions on who may be able to help? I have an email in to Kirby Allen, who did one for Jon on this forum in 300RUM but have not heard back whether he would be willing to do this again. The gunsmith that PacNor uses told them that it is not possible to open up the face of a Browning, I doubt this is true. My other options, if stuck with the current base diameter, as I see it are to stick with 300WM, 300 Weatherby or 340 Weatherby. Appreciate any suggestions
Shaun

Crap, I was looking at cartridge base of .550". Looks like I am good to go!
Thanks MudRunner!

You will most likely have to change out or modify your internal magazine, because the RUM calibers are fatter and significantly longer than the .300 WM. So you might have to find a .300 RUM or 7mm RUM A-Bolt magazine to replace your current one. Or if you find a smith who is well-versed in modifying or customizing Brownings, then he might be able to modify your .300WM magazine to accept the RUM cartridges.

I've modified my 338 Win Mag case to accept 3.6" lengths, width is definitely going to be an issue. Do you know if they are actually wider or if the extra room comes from the depth of the top plate(follower?) -Thanks

I've modified my 338 Win Mag case to accept 3.6" lengths, width is definitely going to be an issue. Do you know if they are actually wider or if the extra room comes from the depth of the top plate(follower?) -Thanks

The RUM case is actually a lot wider. Even Remington 700 rifles that are manufactured in RUM calibers, the feed rails on the sides of the action are wider than the standard magnum calibers (7mmRM, .300WM, etc...). They also have a different follower, and a different mag box for the wider feed rails.

In looking at contours, I'm leaning to a # 4 or 5, 28", fluted. Any suggestions for or against? How about twist rate 9 vs 10? Plan to shoot a variety of bullets, mostly 225-250, possibly 300s
Thanks again

I would go fluted 28"-30" Rem Varmint/Sendero contour 1:10 twist, which is the Berger recommendation for their 300gr OTM's.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.