Browning A-Bolt issues

Well, picked up the rifle today. They cleaned the rifle barrel and chamber and cycled 6 shells without an issue. They used federal brass with 180 grain ammo. The same ones I was using. I still think there is something in the chamber but they said it cycled fine. Will be shooting it this weekend to verify and report back.

Finally took the rifle out last night. The rifle again shot really well. I was shooting 180 grain federals. The first 3-4 rounds shot fine. The next 3-4 cycled a little stuff and the last three were difficult to eject again. The bore is clean, the chamber is clean, no scars on the casing. I am beginning to think something is wrong with the bolt? I do know. It shoots lights out! Just want it to cycle reliably.

I had a similar problem once in another rifle but I was hand loading and it turned out to be the powder building up a crust at the mouth of the case - and it would only take a few shots before I couldn't even chamber a round without getting the bullet stuck in the crust. They only sold that powder for a few years and took it off the market. This may not be your problem but the way the pressures increased from shot to shot is similar and the way a good cleaning made it okay for a few shots is also the same. This leads me to believe there is some kind of build up either right in front of the chamber or in the barrel itself.

It is more when you start to eject the shell, loading each shell is good but the bolt is really stiff at the back once you have opened the chamber And then when you try to load the next shell it catches before it picks up the round. I am going to have to take it to a different gun smith.

It is more when you start to eject the shell, loading each shell is good but the bolt is really stiff at the back once you have opened the chamber And then when you try to load the next shell it catches before it picks up the round. I am going to have to take it to a different gun smith.

Agree!

Have not been able to get in to a gunsmith since I removed the bolt just to see what is going on and there is a small hole in the bottom of the bolt slide that has a raised edge causing the bolt to stick. Has nothing to do with the chamber thankfully. Wonder if grinding it down with a dremmel tool would work? Is it just the part that the actual bolt goes through. The bolt is allowed to turn inside of this piece so it doesn't have any other mechanical function other than a support/carrier of the bolt itself.

I am sure that you would not hurt anything by polishing it down with dremmel polishing wheel with some flitz on it or 600 grit compound I have polished all kinds of bolts to slick them up hope this might help you

That is what I was thinking. I have several different wheels for a dremmel so thought it was worth a shot to save 100.00 per hour at a smith since I can but a used bolt for 100-150!

I forgot to take pics but the rough edge of the whole in the bottom of the bolt sleeve was the culprit! I was able to take a small grinder wheel (dremmel) and smoothed down that area. I used a polishing wheels to finish up and now the bolt slides like it should. Now back to the range!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.