Browning A-bolt .300

JakeM

Hey guys,

New guy here but I have been reading the forums for a few months. This is my first real post and if it gets lengthy I apologize. I have a few questions about a particular factory rifle/setup as it pertains to what I am looking for in another big game set up.

I have had several good experiences with Browning A-Bolts in the past. None better than with the current .270 I have. With factory Winchester 130 Ballistic Tips it will stack them in one ragged hole at 100yds all day long. My dad (who is admittedly not a marksman) can do the same. I had a 5 shot group @ 200yds a few years ago that I could cover with a quarter.

I say this to simply state my reason for wanting another A-bolt. I have come to realize that they are not a favorite for custom setups because they are not as easy to replace barrels for. However, I am looking for a factory set-up for big game hunting out to 800 yards, not a multi-thousand dollar setup for shooting knat hairs at the same distance.

The particular rifle that I am looking at is a Browning Long Range Hunter in .300 Win Mag. It was a Shot Show item and sports a 26in Med/Heavy contour fluted barrel. One of the reasons that I am leaning towards this rifle is because it seems to be geared toward longer range shooting without the added weight in the stock (no beavertail forend etc..) I plan to use this for just about everything from deer hunting here in Tennessee to hopefully some Mule deer and Elk hunts in the future. I like the idea of being able to pack this rifle in with the hope of keeping the weight under 10lbs.

Any thoughts on this set up would be appreciated. I am still wet behind the ears when it comes to putting a set-up together that I can be confident in taking extended range shots. I do realize that this will require the proper optics and for that I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks for any input,

Jake

Hi Jake. Welcome to Len's website.

I could be wrong but it sounds like your mind is made up on Browning. Personally I don't have a problem with them but I know some do. It was my understanding that Browning was pillar bedding their factory rifles, but I heard that somewhere. Never verified it. The 2 I'm familiar with that belonged to a friend and my brother shot very well.

Just a guess but I think most on this site would likely opine that Savage would be your best bet right out of the box for an accurate factory rifle. I believe they come with button rifled barrels.

Good luck to you.

Buy the browning and dont look back. Everyone has their favorite (ford chevy dodge) I have had 3 A-Bolts rebarreled. While not every gunsmith will work on them you can find competent gunsmiths that will.

I agree with Team Roper, I have 5 A-bolts they all shoot 1 moa or less. Here is a video of the custom Browning A-bolt 300 RUM I built.
[ame]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BZFiXn_90w&context=C3dfb7f4ADOEgsToPDskK9dAbUpt-lmsbz5VQrFQY5[/ame]

I was just cracking rocks yesterday afternoon w/my 325 WSM ssabolt. Stock w/4-14 leo 7-6 oz. It jumps a bit when you shoot as light weight. I was making good hits w/ reticule holds to 725 and dialed to 835.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.