Brown bear Rifle

Will do a similar type of hunt. I re-barreled one of my 300 Win Mags to a 338 Win Mag, I have a custom 375 Ruger coming, will be my Africa gun as well. I did some research if you are comfortable and shoot your win mag well you will do fine. But I took these hunting trip opportunities for what I call bucket list hunting trips as a reason to expand my caliber options.

I had a sow brown bear, who had a cub with her, full on charge me from 17 steps. Guide did not have a bullet in the chamber of his gun and his scope was covered up. That is one day I fully know there is a God, and He was looking down on me. Somehow, I was able to raise my rifle and shoot her in the mouth. Everyone knows there is no one alive who could make that shot on their own. Had I shot her anywhere else I would have taken a seriously mauling. My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.

similar shot in one of my bear charge encounters on a solo moose hunting trip back in '03, saw a "wave" of grass and fireweed moving towards me then saw bear teeth attached to a snarling face, at ten paces I barely had time to lift rifle and fire instinctively, the 200 gr Swift AFrame bullet blew off the top of the bears head and sprayed brain & head contents all over then it fell a few feet from me jaws still snapping.. not realizing it just got killed

luckily I was "overkill" armed for moose with a 7.82 Warbird & 200 gr Swift A-Frame bullets

Barnes 400 gr. triple shocks out of my 416 Rigby. I add 2 solids in the magazine if the first 2 don't do the trick. What ever round you choose the recoil is totally ignored when you are shooting at the bear. Shoot as much gun as you can handle. A 7mm Rem mag can kill a bear with a well placed shot but the rules on what to use change on something that can kill me effortlessly.

A 338 Lapua shooting 260 Hammer Hunters at around 3,000 FPS would be a devistating brown bear load up to around the 500 yard mark, and most bears are shot much, much closer. I've done Kodiak brown bear hunts twice; used 338 win mag with 230 black talons the first time on a 9'6" boar at 97 yards. Quartering towards me, broke front shoulder and exited back of the rib cage on far side. Second trip I used a 338 RUM loaded with 250 partitions. Boar was 230 yards broadside, hit him perfect center shoulder the first shot which broke both front shoulders. To my surprise he was able to pull his front feet underneath himself and hobble off down into the nearby trout stream. Second shot he was on a hobbling sprint down through the stream which struck him high breaking his spine and ending it. If I went back for a third bear I'd use the 260 Hammer Hunters in a 338 Lapua or 338 Norma Mag pushing them as close to 3,000 FPS as I could. I do some custom load development for people on the side and I have to say the Hammers in any of their offered calibers I have tried are some of the most accurately manufactured bullets I've ever tested and some of the most reliably expanding bullets I've ever tested as well. I would have complete confidence in them if I ever went back to Kodiak. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
I,m 75 yrs. old.Been reading about Alaska hunting for 65 years.Did a fly in outa Tok in '97 for moose....
There has been a ton of bear up there shot with 30-06,35 Whelen etc.etc.... with remington,winchester,sierra etc.etc. bullets.
Shot placement is key to planting one with first shot.
^^^^^^^ This is the 100% correct answer^^^^^^^^^^^^

Will do a similar type of hunt. I re-barreled one of my 300 Win Mags to a 338 Win Mag, I have a custom 375 Ruger coming, will be my Africa gun as well. I did some research if you are comfortable and shoot your win mag well you will do fine. But I took these hunting trip opportunities for what I call bucket list hunting trips as a reason to expand my caliber options.
My first big game gun (larger than 30-30) is a .338 WM which has hunted every where with me (Africa, Canada, USA etc). I also have a .375 Ruger which I am really liking as well. I see some overlap with the two, but am happy with both.

I had a sow brown bear, who had a cub with her, full on charge me from 17 steps. Guide did not have a bullet in the chamber of his gun and his scope was covered up. That is one day I fully know there is a God, and He was looking down on me. Somehow, I was able to raise my rifle and shoot her in the mouth. Everyone knows there is no one alive who could make that shot on their own. Had I shot her anywhere else I would have taken a seriously mauling. My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.
The big thing to be learned here is to select your guides carefully. That one could have gotten you killed by being stupid.

Killing just isn't near the rocket science that most make it out to be...........put a good bullet in a good place and good things will happen
Truth there.

However the amount of time elapsed from the moment of bullet impact to bear completely inert will vary, based on the caliber and velocity of bullet. This becomes of utmost pertinence when shooting a bear at closer ranges, should the bear identify and decide to destroy the menace that pulled the trigger.