Brown bear Rifle

Just consider what you need for worst case scenario - a Brown Bear charging you at an amazing rate of speed.

Have enuff gun.
I had a sow brown bear, who had a cub with her, full on charge me from 17 steps. Guide did not have a bullet in the chamber of his gun and his scope was covered up. That is one day I fully know there is a God, and He was looking down on me. Somehow, I was able to raise my rifle and shoot her in the mouth. Everyone knows there is no one alive who could make that shot on their own. Had I shot her anywhere else I would have taken a seriously mauling. My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.

Yeah I've long said that stopping a charge and not having the fang put to you is all about CNS hits!

Real world though (IMO), if you'd of been using a 270 with a 160 Noz or a 06 with a 200 Noz and hit it in the same manner it would of went down just as fast!

My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.
I was trying to think of the smallest cartaige

My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.

I was trying to think of the smallest cartridge that my friends, acquaintances, and myself ever took on Alaskan bear hunts. One guide had a 300 Weatherby. But 338 Lapua got a massive brown. We always took 416 Rem through .458 WM and my nice .458 Barnes American.

The best advice I can give you is to speak with the outfitter first. In many cases you are going to be fairly close to that bear when you pull the trigger. If I had my pick it would be a 375 H&H 20" barrel matched with a 300 gr TSX.

With that said, A 300 WM will get the job done but you do want a bullet that will penetrate. A bonded bullet or all copper (ie. TTSX).

These just shut down big bears. I exceeded 2350 fps in my first testing before Africa. Later on I brought them Alaska. The other round we used were 510 gr soft points. That bear was coming towards us and sniffing one in the chest and out the butt cheek of a 9'6 brown. Barnes Triple-Shock X (TSX) Bullets 458 Caliber (458 Diameter) 450 Grain Hollow Point

barnes 450gr.jpg

I had a sow brown bear, who had a cub with her, full on charge me from 17 steps. Guide did not have a bullet in the chamber of his gun and his scope was covered up. That is one day I fully know there is a God, and He was looking down on me. Somehow, I was able to raise my rifle and shoot her in the mouth. Everyone knows there is no one alive who could make that shot on their own. Had I shot her anywhere else I would have taken a seriously mauling. My rifle was a .375H&H, and I would never enter Alaska again on such a hunt with anything less.
WOWSA. Praise the Lord.

These just shut down big bears. I exceeded 2350 fps in my first testing before Africa. Later on I brought them Alaska. The other round we used were 510 gr soft points. That bear was coming towards us and sniffing one in the chest and out the butt cheek of a 9'6 brown. Barnes Triple-Shock X (TSX) Bullets 458 Caliber (458 Diameter) 450 Grain Hollow Point

View attachment 365711
Are you sure you wouldn't rather use a Berger

Are you sure you wouldn't rather use a Berger
Barnes has a booth at most of the "Safari International Conventions" It was 20 years ago when they introduced the 450 gr. Prior to that they only had up to 405 gr X bullets which were real medicine for all plains game

Last edited: