Brown bear Rifle

I took my Marlin 45-70 as my caribou/ bear protection rifle. It was the best compromise I had. If I went strictly for bear I'd feel better with a 375 H&H. That's coming from someone who's never hunted for them but was amongst them.

Well, this thread is getting a little Owly... humor, how many of you folks have seen the video(s) of Inuit hunters taking Polar's with .222 Rem and .223 Rem/5.56x45 on the open ice with dogs? Yeah, the first time I saw it was back in the '70s... it was something, the dogs did most of the work and the hunter just stepped up and head clowned the Coka Cola add dead. I had a friend who had a gun shop back then, he found out that I liberated a few cans of 5,56x45 NATO M193 from Uncle Sugar, back when it was really hard to get up North, anyway, he made quite a trade with me.
He had/knew another gunshop guy in Alaska that he traded with, he told me not to worry about our trade the stuff was like gold up there, it's all the Inuit hunters wanted was 55gr. ball for the open ice.
We all know that in the bush or heavy woods using .222 Rem and .223 Rem/5.56x45 would never be anyone pick for "big" Bear especially while on the ground with them... yet... here they ( Inuit hunters) are using them on the open ice for pretty darn big Bear.
Ok... I do know guys that have taken Blackies with .223 Rem from a stand, one guy with the Yakima Nation took near everything he hunted with his .223 Rem, Bear, Cougar, and Elk. No, I don't think it's a great idea, but it happens.
So, is a .223 Rem is Bear rifle? No!
So, will it kill big Bear? Sure it can. But you might want to take a few camouflage adult depends, with you. Cheers guys

3876048.jpg

Well, this thread is getting a little Owly... humor, how many of you folks have seen the video(s) of Inuit hunters taking Polar's with .222 Rem and .223 Rem/5.56x45 on the open ice with dogs? Yeah, the first time I saw it was back in the '70s... it was something, the dogs did most of the work and the hunter just stepped up and head clowned the Coka Cola add dead. I had a friend who had a gun shop back then, he found out that I liberated a few cans of 5,56x45 NATO M193 from Uncle Sugar, back when it was really hard to get up North, anyway, he made quite a trade with me.
He had/knew another gunshop guy in Alaska that he traded with, he told me not to worry about our trade the stuff was like gold up there, it's all the Inuit hunters wanted was 55gr. ball for the open ice.
We all know that in the bush or heavy woods using .222 Rem and .223 Rem/5.56x45 would never be anyone pick for "big" Bear especially while on the ground with them... yet... here they ( Inuit hunters) are using them on the open ice for pretty darn big Bear.
Ok... I do know guys that have taken Blackies with .223 Rem from a stand, one guy with the Yakima Nation took near everything he hunted with his .223 Rem, Bear, Cougar, and Elk. No, I don't think it's a great idea, but it happens.
So, is a .223 Rem is Bear rifle? No!
So, will it kill big Bear? Sure it can. But you might want to take a few camouflage adult depends, with you. Cheers guys

3876048.jpg

ha, kidding of course ...

but if a fella does need to prove something then he can show up in Talkeetna on his dime and I can load 'im n his stuff up downstream of the Parks Hwy Bridge, run him up 40 miles or so to where the bears are, since he's just a stranger/hitchhiker I have zero responsibility or liability, he should be able to hike out within ten days by following the river, should run into a nice mean Spring brownie (or 10) somewhere along the hike to practice that fabled "shot placement" with a 30-30 or 223/222, maybe even up the odds and bring a 6.5 Creed with the super killa 143 gr ELD-X bullets

Last edited:
ha, kidding of course ...

but if a fella does need to prove something then he can show up in Talkeetna on his dime and I can load 'im n his stuff up downstream of the Parks Hwy Bridge, run him up 40 miles or so to where the bears are, since he's just a stranger/hitchhiker I have zero responsibility or liability, he should be able to hike out within ten days by following the river, should run into a nice mean Spring brownie (or 10) somewhere along the hike to practice that fable "shot placement" with a 30-30 or 223/222, maybe even up the odds and bring a 6.5 Creed with the super killa 143 gr ELD-X bullets
You just beating on the poor fellow. :) I would be carrying a fishing guide type short barreled 12 gauge as well. :)

hey Swamplord this is the OVER KILL guy you are wanting to take out. lets do it. and how about I take my old 30-30 out and show you how to take down a big bear, you typewriter Hero's usually don't know Squat about hunting. since I've been shooting for 60 years and have shot more 1000 yard shots than you ever will maybe I can teach you a few things. like you don't need a Howitzer to hunt animals with. oh and NO my 30-30 is not a 1000 yard shooter but it's **** sure big enough to take down a Griz, Brown or Kodiak
Silly you, you forgot about the polar bears. People have been killing them with sticks with sharp points for centuries. Silly you!

that's a Bit OVER KILL. I live in Montana and we have BIG bears here and even a 30-30 is more than enough

Until it isn't! In an easily portable, shoulder fired, hunting firearm, there is no such thing as "overkill" on any big game animal......only "underkill"! Sadly, this not ascertained until failure is realized! memtb

If you don't mind going for a new gun, consider a Ruger Guide Gun in 338 win mag or even a 375 ruger. The short, handy rifle is perfect for hunting dangerous game. They may be a bit ugly, but once you handle one, a long rifle seems completely cumbersome.