Brown bear Rifle

my vote is 338 ultra with 300 gr bullets
The regular .338 Winchester Magnum will do. (No brake needed.)
250-gr. Nosler Partitions. (Your range will probably be not far.)
I sold my .338 RUM. - I had a brake on it, and it produced concussions at the bench. :D

338-Win-Mag-250gr-version-9-0.jpg

Last edited:
FYI, I have killed 3 Blacks one over 600# with my old M1 Carbine, it doesn't take a Cannon to kill a bear even a big Brown, bullet Placement is the Key.
You know... I love my old 1943 M1 Carbine, I tip over a small buck one year in; Craigmont Idaho, I fired twice because the recovery is so fast on the rifle, but I think the first shot pretty much had him... under 50 yards, high shoulder neck. Ok, we can all agree it's not the best Whitetail Deer rifle, but... it worked and the venison sausages tasted just as good. Cheers

1943 M1 .30 Carbine Inland.jpg

You know... I love my old 1943 M1 Carbine, I tip over a small buck one year in; Craigmont Idaho, I fired twice because the recovery is so fast on the rifle, but I think the first shot pretty much had him... under 50 yards, high shoulder neck. Ok, we can all agree it's not the best Whitetail Deer rifle, but... it worked and the venison sausages tasted just as good. Cheers

View attachment 313610
I for one am very familiar with the M1 carbine. I did have one in Viet Nam but traded it in for a M14. The NATO M1 carbine round was a bit weak on the end where one was on airfield perimeter security when one had to return fire at those over 200+ yards away.

I for one am very familiar with the M1 carbine. I did have one in Viet Nam but traded it in for a M14. The NATO M1 carbine round was a bit weak on the end where one was on airfield perimeter security when one had to return fire at those over 200+ yards away.
well when you are shooting at targets at are shooting back and at 200+ yards I'd also take the 308 over the M1, 110 gr FMJ, I also have a 308 but you still can't beat the M1 for a close range Brush gun.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, 375 min, I used a 458 win mag. At 75 yards, They charge the sound. He wasn't charging jack ————!

Makes me laugh and immediately think of the 6.5 SIM worshippers. The deadliest gun I ever used on deer was a 223 shooting 55gr Ballistic Tips or 55gr FMJ's out of a Ruger Mini 14. Again, we can all agree it's not the best Deer Rifle/bullet, and it worked and they all died right in front of me.

I'd love to take these "over kill" jackwagons out , set them up on a good close range brown bear hunt with their chosen "enough gun" and leave them to their own actions with their "shot placement" with ZERO backup support ...,,,

BUT I'd need a signed waiver leaving me completely free from any legal actions and along with that, another signed document giving me full rights on the video of the horrible, but eerily satisfying mauling that is about to take place

When it comes to Big Brown Bears - an old Kodiak guide said:

"That Six Bits works pretty good" - as in a .375.

I have shot a .375 - and it has more of a push type kick - than the jolt from a .338 or heavier kicking .340 Weatherby.

A well placed shot from a 30.06 can take a big bear sure - but a charging one? You want something to knock it down.

I'd love to take these "over kill" jackwagons out , set them up on a good close range brown bear hunt with their chosen "enough gun" and leave them to their own actions with their "shot placement" with ZERO backup support ...,,,

BUT I'd need a signed waiver leaving me completely free from any legal actions and along with that, another signed document giving me full rights on the video of the horrible, but eerily satisfying mauling that is about to take place
BTW - even a signed waiver might not cover your possible liability - at least here in Cal - but "fun" idea.

FYI, I have killed 3 Blacks one over 600# with my old M1 Carbine, it doesn't take a Cannon to kill a bear even a big Brown, bullet Placement is the Key.
A Big Brown bear can be over twice as big as a Black - Kodiaks maybe 3x. TWICE min.

BTW - even a signed waiver might not cover your possible liability - at least here in Cal - but "fun" idea.
hey Swamplord this is the OVER KILL guy you are wanting to take out. lets do it. and how about I take my old 30-30 out and show you how to take down a big bear, you typewriter Hero's usually don't know Squat about hunting. since I've been shooting for 60 years and have shot more 1000 yard shots than you ever will maybe I can teach you a few things. like you don't need a Howitzer to hunt animals with. oh and NO my 30-30 is not a 1000 yard shooter but it's **** sure big enough to take down a Griz, Brown or Kodiak

hey Swamplord this is the OVER KILL guy you are wanting to take out. lets do it. and how about I take my old 30-30 out and show you how to take down a big bear, you typewriter Hero's usually don't know Squat about hunting. since I've been shooting for 60 years and have shot more 1000 yard shots than you ever will maybe I can teach you a few things. like you don't need a Howitzer to hunt animals with. oh and NO my 30-30 is not a 1000 yard shooter but it's **** sure big enough to take down a Griz, Brown or Kodiak
Easy everybody. I too have been hunting for over 60 years - and started with a .32 Winchester Special - cousin to the 30-30 - and have been on a Rifle Team. Even so - I sure as **** would not want either one against a big Griz or even bigger Kodiak. It could kill them sure - but if a Big Brown was charging - unless you hit it - say in the eye - good luck.

make your way down here in the Spring bring your own gear and I can run you 40 miles upriver on my jetboat to a spot thick with brownies and leave you there for 10 days with your 30-30