Brown bear Rifle

Forget all these shotguns with special metal shot and repeaters with scopes and red dots. Now if you going to be hunting Brown Bear within 100 yrds you don't need a scope so when I get the chance to go I will bring a Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe Double Rifle in 577 Nitro, these are hand made of course so very dependable and two shots in case you miss the first time. Only takes one shot to put anything down. Also if you are not sure of your shooting abilities bring along a HOWDAH for back up-another two shot kill anything (in close) pistol.
I can't afford anything handmade except shepherds pie🤣 let alone the ammo for a sxs rifle.🤣🤣

I can't afford anything handmade except shepherds pie🤣 let alone the ammo for a sxs rifle.🤣🤣
Now if you going to be hunting Brown Bear within 100 yrds you don't need a scope so when I get the chance to go I will bring a Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe Double Rifle in 577 Nitro, these are hand made of course so very dependable and two shots in case you miss the first time.
If I owned a good quality double I'd sell it and take my bolt gun brown bear hunting.

Fun to think about though.

Might not need a scope, but old eyes and irons no longer mix a reflex of some kind would work

No. 1 size tungsten buckshot in 12ga. Also have some #0000 and #4 tungsten buckshot. The #0000 tungsten penetrated 14" of live birch tree trunk. The #1 buck penetrated 9".

Have to use the thick plastic shot cups to protect the shotgun barrel. Similar to steel pellet shot cups. I also place a plastic liner inside the shot cup. Choke is open, so very little constriction at the muzzle. We have finished one grizzly in the alders and willows with Tungsten buckshot.

Tungsten buckshot is for head/brain shots only, in my opinion. Deep penetration. The pellets don't deform at all. Look like new pellets after fired.
Good grief. It penetrated 14" of Birch tree. Amazing. How many pellets fit in a hull and still crimp ?

Forget all these shotguns with special metal shot and repeaters with scopes and red dots. Now if you going to be hunting Brown Bear within 100 yrds you don't need a scope so when I get the chance to go I will bring a Holland & Holland Royal Deluxe Double Rifle in 577 Nitro, these are hand made of course so very dependable and two shots in case you miss the first time. Only takes one shot to put anything down. Also if you are not sure of your shooting abilities bring along a HOWDAH for back up-another two shot kill anything (in close) pistol.
I think if it were me each pull of the trigger it would put two down. 🤣

Good grief. It penetrated 14" of Birch tree. Amazing. How many pellets fit in a hull and still crimp ?
Tungsten is as dense as gold. About the densest element on the planet. Hard as hardened steel.
I think 9 pellets of #1 Buck, plus one pellet of the #0000 Buck is what I load in a 3" 12ga hull with a roll crimp. About a 2oz payload.
The weight of the pellets is what restricts pellet count. Not volume.

Tungsten is as dense as gold. About the densest element on the planet. Hard as hardened steel.
I think 9 pellets of #1 Buck, plus one pellet of the #0000 Buck is what I load in a 3" 12ga hull with a roll crimp. About a 2oz payload.
The weight of the pellets is what restricts pellet count. Not volume.
Oh ok . You do an old fashioned roll crimp on a cardboard disk or plastic there also?

Dang now you've got me wanting to go to EABrown.com and get an extension for my 870. It's a turkey gun actually. Came with an extended Xtra full tube and I have added skeet and improved cylinder for dove shoots. Haven't been going to dove shoots anymore so I may as well repurpose the gun to home defense.

When my wife and I are in Alaska fishing or just taking in the States vista's traveling by camper... I always have my old never-fail Ithaca 37 Deerslayer slug gun with us.
When we are on the bank of a river or lake it's never off my back. I picked 3" 1 3/8 oz Brenneke Black Magic Mags for my slug in the Ithaca rifled barrel, barrel it's a track driver as a shotgun goes with pretty good range and tons of power in close. I'm amazed at how well my wife shoots it, it's just hard to beat where the big teeth hang out.

View attachment 277082
How bad is recoil?

If I owned a good quality double I'd sell it and take my bolt gun brown bear hunting.

Fun to think about though.

Might not need a scope, but old eyes and irons no longer mix a reflex of some kind would work
If sir you owned a High Quality H&H Double starting with a 416 Rigby, 460 Nitro, 557 Nitro and could accurately shoot with iron sites (with practice) It would be the BEST rifle for a Brown Bear and ALL OTHER DANGEROUS GAME within 100yds out to two or three depending your shooting abilities. Only one shot needed. PERIOD! Your repeater only has (3) shouts with cycling. The double is like a semi auto after the first shot and if you kept two cartridges between you fingers you could reload fast, but no need if you shoot straight and hit a vital zone. Try fast re loading a bolt through the top compared to a break open. What is the average distance to shoot a Brown Bear? There is so much woods you usually shoot on the shore line or a marsh. Spotting them off a boat then stocking them. The guide will always get you the closest he can safely so the you don't miss the shot. If I didn't have a double I would take my model 70 in .325WSM with 200 or 220 partition weight bullet or If I had one in 375 Ruger Safari. Always wanted one since they came out it will take anything on this Planet unless we dinasourssessouree back to life, Then I would borrow a 6.5 Creed.

If sir you owned a High Quality H&H Double starting with a 416 Rigby, 460 Nitro, 557 Nitro and could accurately shoot with iron sites (with practice) It would be the BEST rifle for a Brown Bear and ALL OTHER DANGEROUS GAME within 100yds out to two or three depending your shooting abilities. Only one shot needed. PERIOD! Your repeater only has (3) shouts with cycling. The double is like a semi auto after the first shot and if you kept two cartridges between you fingers you could reload fast, but no need if you shoot straight and hit a vital zone. Try fast re loading a bolt through the top compared to a break open. What is the average distance to shoot a Brown Bear? There is so much woods you usually shoot on the shore line or a marsh. Spotting them off a boat then stocking them. The guide will always get you the closest he can safely so the you don't miss the shot. If I didn't have a double I would take my model 70 in .325WSM with 200 or 220 partition weight bullet or If I had one in 375 Ruger Safari. Always wanted one since they came out it will take anything on this Planet unless we dinasourssessouree back to life, Then I would borrow a 6.5 Creed.
I have an old Remington double barrel from Alaska. A guide used it for years and retired to the lower 48. He traded in for a 30/06 at a gun shop in KY where I saw it. It had 28 inch barrels and spiral grooves down the bores. I was told it had nothing but slugs run through it and the chokes were non existent. So I bought for dove shoots since they were open chokes

It's not bad at all, I think; If I was occupied it might be zero :) it's about like an old Rem 760 .30-06 with a 180gr load. But then I never had a recoil problem I've always liked the bigger calibers .348, .444, and 375 H&H and shot them well.
I've hunted deer with an old 760 in 30/06 but used 150 and 165 grainers. They were not bad at all

Recent Posts