Brown Bear Pics

I have been looking around for the Alaska model with the polymer stock without much success. Would the laminate stock models hold up to getting wet / snow / mud or are they just for looks ?

I always think "plywood" when I see those stocks - and not in a positive way when it comes to moisture. Personally, I think they are ugly but if they perform it doesn't matter.

The laminated stocks work good on the coast. . Just give them a good sealing coat inside. . I reccomend a good bedding job. By someone that understands rifles that have some recoil being worked under water.
Certain places need s little relief area gap. Like the rear tang and rear of the trigger guard. . Any where the stock and action contact in the mortice that is angled. . . Think splitting firewood with a wedge.

Synthetic stocks aren't guaranteed to not get destroyed. I've broke several.
Only the Zytel canoe paddle Ruger stock is tough enough for lots of hammering away. Like close to 2,000 rounds of 338 win mag. Then more than 1500 rounds of 458 Win Mag. On the one stock. . Tough, stocks.

Beautiful bears! Fun reading through this thread and dreaming of a brown bear hunt someday. Always wanted to hunt them with a 338 win mag, but considering how close you are getting I think it would be smarter to use something bigger. 416-375 RUM shooting 400's would sure be potent medicine.

I'm more into the Andy Runyon school of thot on bullet weight for brown bear. Fat, light and fast. . 300 gr 416 bullet at 2800+. . Even the 300 gr TSX in 458@2700+ fps.
At close range they put a fist size hole THROUGH the bear. But, the heavy bullets work also. Just kick more.