Broken scope, need opions on replacement

MR - The weight makes a significant difference to me. My hunting is all backpack hunting. I have two IOR's that weigh 29 oz. They've been replaced with Sightron's that weight 21.7 oz. And now that Leupy has improved their VX-3 glass, I may move into their VX-3 4.5-14X50 LR, at about 16 oz. I've been on three Alaskan mountain hunts in the past two months. Two of them 9-10 miles into the mountains, one 4 miles in. The IORs are like boat anchors. The SIIIs were are relief in the right direction compared to the IORs. NF is even heavier. I'd rather bend a scope now and then than pack that 'dead' weight around for miles and miles. If I could drive up near my hunting locations, the heavyweights would be tolerable. I'm no longer willing to tolerate that extra 10-16 oz of weight that adds nothing to the accuracy of my rifles. The best thing about a NF is if you decide to sell one, they have great resale value. I suspect that many NF users set camp up next to their 4WDs or 4-wheelers, or hunt in situations where long walks are not mandatory to get into some good hunting. Either that or they're into body building. I've fired the first shot over the NF owner's here and the return fire should begin in earnest at any time. :)

Paul,

I probably should have kept my $.02 to myself :D But what the heck... I guess ouir priorities are different. I plan to be doing some backpack hunting as well when the elk season opens up next weekend if I can get the time off, same distances as your backpacks. I figure pack and gun weight to be in the 70-80 lb range. The NF adds 1% to my load... not a big deal to me considering that it is practically indestructible. A person invests a lot of time, $$$ and prep just to get a rifle in tune for a hunt, then takes the time off work and spends more effort and resource getting back in the wilderness. IMO, not the time and place for a scope to break and end that season's plans.

I read the occasional posts where these other scopes are going back for repairs and often at the most in-oportune time, and when a scope falls off a horse or whatever, in the middle of a hunt... well... nuff said. I just EDIT dont read about NF scopes failing or getting broke.

I figure my NF is a lifetime investment and will likely never see NF CS in my lifetime and maybe not my son's lifetime.

Don't mean to start a peeing contest or ruffle any feathers.... just thought I share my view about the value of a rugged scope that wont break on ya at the worse time.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Mark,
It's all good. I've never seen you pick a fight on the Forum yet. I really liked my IORs, but they just got too heavy for me after about three seasons of use. I see just as well through the SIIIs and the first hunt I switched out scopes, I noted a significant ease in packing my rifle and - it seemed like a relief.

The weight on my rifle is different to me than the weight in my pack. Less balanced and more arm fatigue caused with the heavier rifles. So I'm headed in the lighter-is-better direction. Very few roads up here and a hunter usually has to live off what he carries with him, not what's on the 4-wheeler.

I've rarely read where a NF owner has had much bad to say about their scope. Other than they're pretty costy and heavy. As far as reliability goes, they seem to be about as good as it gets. They maintain their resale value very well, which says a lot for the NF following.

Good luck on your pack-in elk hunt.

I just bit the bullet and bought a VX-3 6.5-20lr with 30mm tube and target turrets with the fine duplex for 803.00 with free shipping. I know it is not a NF, but this is all that my budget will allow for now. I can't wait to give this new scope a try. I still have a deer tag and a cow elk tag left.

I just bit the bullet and bought a VX-3 6.5-20lr with 30mm tube and target turrets with the fine duplex for 803.00 with free shipping. I know it is not a NF, but this is all that my budget will allow for now. I can't wait to give this new scope a try. I still have a deer tag and a cow elk tag left.

Can't go wrong with a Leupold, IMO..One of the better top end scopes.. Good Luck with those Tags.

Don't worry, I checked the used scopes on this site. I also considered a Zeis Conquest and found a new one on ebay that ended up selling for 759.00 a good deal to be sure, but auctions are all about two people wanting the same thing. Maybe I will hear back from sightron soon about my broken scope. At this point, I am really looking forward to the VX-3 with the new lens coatings and the 30mm tube

Re: Broken scope, need opinions on replacement

Let us know how you like it. I looked through a VX-3 4.5-14x50mm LR yesterday with the 30mm tube and B&C reticle. It's hard to tell and compare optics at the gun shop, but I was favorably impressed with the Leupy all in all. I'd like to have been able to do a side-by-side with my Sightron SIII, but just not possible without purchasing it.

I have several leupold's in 4.5x14x 50 and I think the glass is great for the price.

As to the durability issue the toughest scope that I know of is the Burris , But the
light gathering is not as good as some other scopes. None of the scopes will take that
kind of abuse so don't blame the scope.

There is something that might help when pack hunting or traveling on air lines I like
to use the Leupold or other quick disconnect scope rings and bases so I can remove
the scope for transport and install when ready to hunt.

If you buy quality QD scope mounts they are repeatable.

The Near Picatinny(Rail type) is also repeatable if you want to use this type of system.

I am sure there are others but I have experience with the Leupold QDs and the Near
rings and bases.

J E CUSTOM

I use the Near Picatinny rail wherever I can as well. I have one on a Tikka T3 Lite 338 WM with Warne QD and a Swarovski Z6. Whenever I want to do some still hunting (moose), I remove the scope and install a Zeiss z Point. POI change is not noticeable from 1 switch to another. On several occasions I've shot 3/4" 3 shot groups at 100y., while removing and reinstalling the scope between every shot.

Well, I was in Cabella's the other day and had a chance to put my hands on a vx-3 6.5x20x50 and it looked nice. I have to agree that trying to judge a scope inside a store is tough. The easy part to judge however was the price. Cabella's had a price tag of 969.00 for the same scope that I just bought for 803.00, so I feel good that maybe I got a good deal.

I just got an email from Sightron that ups will be delivering a scope! They must have come through and replaced my damaged scope. Now that is awesome customer service!!!!!! Maybe my luck has finally changed for the better. Finally, I better go deer hunting tonight and see how good my luck is!

Thumbs up to SIGHTRON!!!!!

Cool. Thanks for sharing this Sightron warranty experience. Sightron promotes a very good warranty replacement policy, and it sounds like in your case they delivered. Nice to know, since I own a couple of their SIIIs.

Well my new vx-3 is a no show! Idiot on ebay never shipped the scope. Got an email today that he sold more than he had. I emailed back give me a refund! The better news is that I can buy the same scope wholesale from a friend and save about 65.00 even after paying sales tax and shipping.

I am hoping my sightron will be here tomorrow, maybe my luck will change.

Well my new vx-3 is a no show! Idiot on ebay never shipped the scope. Got an email today that he sold more than he had. I emailed back give me a refund! The better news is that I can buy the same scope wholesale from a friend and save about 65.00 even after paying sales tax and shipping.

I am hoping my sightron will be here tomorrow, maybe my luck will change.

E-Bay ..gotta love it. It's easy to get caught up in bidding and pay more than it's worth, things happen for a reason. Good Luck

It looks like I am going to reward Sightron for their awesome customer service (that is still an asumption that they are sending me a new scope, ups was scheduled to be here today, but the scope is stuck in Colorado and the roads are still closed) I told my friend to order me a new Sightron SIII 6-24x50 for a great price of 634.00 plus shipping and tax. Now hurry up and get here already, I am not good at being patient!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.